Whats the minimum amount of cories required?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bloodlucky

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Read somewhere they need to be kept in groups of at least 6 but I see a lot of people have success with just 3

I'm trying to get panda corys for my 40 gallon but I'm afraid I'm gonna overstock it if I get 6 of them

BUT I REALLY WANT CORYS

What else do you have in the tank? In my opinion, if you have enough room for 3, adding a few more wouldnt be a problem.

Jconner3 said:
What else do you have in the tank? In my opinion, if you have enough room for 3, adding a few more wouldnt be a problem.

40 gallon:

2 Bolivian rams
4 red platys
2 sunburst platys
8 neon tetra
1 mystery snail
1 female, 2 male guppies
? Panda corys

just keep in mind if you want to see your fish in their best natural behavior, stock them with their perferred amount.

I think you would be ok with 6. Your tank is almost identical to mine. I have a 55 gallon with almost the same stock, just a bit more.

I had 3 In a tank before then when I upgraded I now have 6, their behaviors are night and day. Highly recommend 6.

Athaocity said:
just keep in mind if you want to see your fish in their best natural behavior, stock them with their perferred amount.

If you see my previous post directed at jconnor3, you will see my stocking plan for the 40 gallon

Does that seem valid to you?

yep. It sounds ok.
im kinda iffy about the 1 female and 2 male guppies though.
but the amount of room might give hiding spaces.

Athaocity said:
yep. It sounds ok.
im kinda iffy about the 1 female and 2 male guppies though.
but the amount of room might give hiding spaces.

Yeah I want male guppies cause theyre colorful but idk what to do

If your definatly going with pandas do at least 6. They're one of the more social corys. Their bioload isn't very significant so a few more shouldn't matter.

Cichlid Kid said:
If your definatly going with pandas do at least 6. They're one of the more social corys. Their bioload isn't very significant so a few more shouldn't matter.

Thanks. Will do!

Do they need anything specific like live plants? Should I move my java fern to the 40 as well?

You should have room. Are your rams a breeding pair? If so there might be some issues with the corys trying to get at the ram eggs and then rams then hurting the corys.

No specific plants for corys, they like live plants but aren't required, if you have some to spare then by all means use them though. They don't like too much light so shady places to rest would be appreciated.

librarygirl said:
You should have room. Are your rams a breeding pair? If so there might be some issues with the corys trying to get at the ram eggs and then rams then hurting the corys.

No specific plants for corys, they like live plants but aren't required, if you have some to spare then by all means use them though. They don't like too much light so shady places to rest would be appreciated.

My rams will be a breeding pair but luckily I'm turning my 10 into a breeding tank so I can throw my rams in there then put them back in the 40 once they lay eggs

So the rams will be in and out of that tank. I'm just trying to make a little $ by selling them

Cories are ery social, some more than others. If your tank is large enough get at least nine. As said before the Skunk Cory is one of the most social and will lin up in fron of the glass. Some also need a social group to spawn.

I agree with severum mama. 6-8 if not even more. On a side note, if you have rams that are already paired up but still in their first year you would be better off letting them spawn a few times in their home tank before relocating them. Its worked better for me that way.

IMG_20120907_012710.jpg

IMG_20120907_012632.jpg

Cichlid Kid said:
I agree with severum mama. 6-8 if not even more. On a side note, if you have rams that are already paired up but still in their first year you would be better off letting them spawn a few times in their home tank before relocating them. Its worked better for me that way.

Thanks so much. Could I move the eggs to another tank? Do rams eat their own eggs?

Ime the younger the pair are the more prone they are to "accidents", so yes they may eat or abandon the first few clutches of eggs. Something may spook them or they may give up on defending their spawn site etc...
Just try to make things as stress free as possible. Thats why i mentioned not moving them to a 10gal. It wasn't because of the size of tank. Contrary to some peoples opinions a 10gal. is fine for 1breeding pair of gbr's. Don't get discouraged if they fail at their first few attempts. Most gbr between 1-3yrs of age paired up make excellent parents. The only downside to having them that I've ever experienced is them being so shortlived.

Cichlid Kid said:
Ime the younger the pair are the more prone they are to "accidents", so yes they may eat or abandon the first few clutches of eggs. Something may spook them or they may give up on defending their spawn site etc...
Just try to make things as stress free as possible. Thats why i mentioned not moving them to a 10gal. It wasn't because of the size of tank. Contrary to some peoples opinions a 10gal. is fine for 1breeding pair of gbr's. Don't get discouraged if they fail at their first few attempts. Most gbr between 1-3yrs of age paired up make excellent parents. The only downside to having them that I've ever experienced is them being so shortlived.

I completely agree with you. I will let them breed and get used to each other in the 40 gallon before I think about putting them in the breeder tank

Back
Top Bottom