Whats the point?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CodyL

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
OK, so I am having a tough time understanding something. I have a 10g tank and I have never tested it before. I was never informed of this at my LPS when I first got the fish. I was informed to cycle the tank for a week and I did. But, when I do full water changes, I don't cycle the tank. I add water conditioner and put them in. My fish have been doing fine. I always do Full water changes and add tap water and add water conditioner and wait. Thats it.

I'm not understanding why when you get a new tank you need to cycle it for a couple days. What happens if you do a full water change with fish? Are you going to have to cycle the tank once again and keep them in a bucket? Soooo confuseddd lol! Do I have to do full water changes? Can i do half water changes? Will I still need to add conditioner and test all the levels and what not? Wonder if one of the levels are too high or too low. No one informed me of this lol and none of the articles are helping me understand much! :( Help! lol

Most people tend to just do partial water changes, the main reason for cycling a tank is to get the essential bacteria build up in the filter so it can break down the waste produced by the fish. If you were to completely replace all of the filter media, substrate and water it would put the tank in a cycle as the bacteria to cope with the waste would have to start again and your water parameters would be all over the place, this would stress out your fish and could cause some less hardy fish to die. I'm more familiar with SW but im sure if I cleaned out my entire tank and replaced all of the water right now my fish would suffer. I never do more than 25% water changes at a time and my tanks are crystal clear.

Prolly haven't answered your question well but im sure someone else can help.

Cody,

Cycling the tank is the process that grows the healthy bacteria in your aquarium (in the filter sponge and media, the substrate, on the decorations), that turns the ammonia (from fish poo, pee and excess food) to nitrItes and further breaks it down to nitrAtes. NitrAtes however are also harmful to fish, so when you do water changes you are diluting the nitrAte concentration to safe levels for the fish, <40 ppm and <20 ppm is ideal.

If the cycle is properly complete, your Ammonia levels will be 0 ppm, your nitrItes will be 0 ppm and your nitrAtes will be less than 20 ppm and this will be constant.

Weekly rinsing of the filter media in the tank water you remove during the water change and putting it back in place, conditioning the new water and then checking your water paremters with a Master Test Kit will keep you on track.

PS. No, you don't need to take the fishes out, just don't vacuum them up.

From one newb to another.

Last edited:
Agreed with Mac =] I shoot for 20ppm nitrates or lower on my tanks, but some people have nitrates in their tap water, so its a little harder to achieve that. 40ppm is acceptable as well.

OK, so tell me if this is a correct thing to do. I get a bucket specifically for my tank. I siphon about 30% of the water in my tank into my bucket. I make sure, Minnie, Tet-Tet and Ghostie are still in my tank. (lol) I then carry this heavy bucket to a sink or outside and dump it. Go refill the bucket with tap water, put conditioner in it and test the bucket water? If everything is fine, I dump it back into my tank and voila? Is that right? Lol :p

Nope, not quite.

Filter 20 - 30% of your aquarium into a tank only bucket, (make certain your fishes are still in the tank ;) ) then inspect your filter media.... If it's gross, rinse it in this bucket and put it back where it belongs, then dump the water outside/down the toilet.

Put fresh water in the bucket, treat it with your water conditioner and refill your tank. (gently!)

Wait an hour check your parameters and if all is 0-0-< 40, you're good to go.

From one newb to another,
Mac

Sounds like you heard the usual LFS BS about "cycling" a tank (meaning having it run with the filter)for 24 hrs, then your good to go!:facepalm:

+1 on what Mac said about what cycling REALLY is. Correct me if I'm wrong, but did you just recently set up your 10gal? If so then your in the cycling process so testing your ammo, nitrites and nitrates is critical .... especially since your doing a fish in cycle. If not ... and the tank is several weeks old and cycled, then you never want to change 100% of the water ... a possible big difference in temp between the tank and your tap alone could shock the fish ... not to mention possible pH differences. Either way ... if you do not have an API test master kit.... it's a great investment.

Just stay on top of the PWC's ... 25% - 50% depending on your ammo readings (if the tank is still cycling), which you always want to be below .25ppm (0 is ideal)anything more and the water becomes toxic to the fish:eek: Once the tank is cycled, it more about maintaining nitrates below 40ppm with PWC's and conditioner.

Also, what fish are you stocking in the 10gal ... I do not recall seeing that listed.

Welcome to the site. How long has it been since you first put fish into the tank? Do you know your full water parameters (ammonia, nitrItes, nitrAtes)? I'm concerned you don't have a firm knowledge on all that goes into cycling a tank...but that's why we're here. It is extremely important to keep your ammo and no2 below .25 at all times to prevent the ammonia and nitrItes from burning and scarring your fishes gills. It takes time for the ammonia to build up to the point where they beginning showing signs of distress.

I highly recommend you check out this article and see if it can help you and your fish along the way-
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...-but-i-already-have-fish-what-now-116287.html

BTW, is "Ghostie" a Black Ghost Knife?

I have had the fish for about 4-5 months now and all 3 of them have survived. No one at the pet store ever told me of testing my waters lol....

Ghostie is a Ghost Shrimp lol :p

CodyL said:
I have had the fish for about 4-5 months now and all 3 of them have survived. No one at the pet store ever told me of testing my waters lol....

What kind of fish do you have? Is there a way you'll be able to get a good test kit? Do you get a chance to do water changes every week? The first thing we have all learned on this site is to never listen to what the guy at the pet store says...in fact we do the opposite, lol :)

Haha, I am just understanding that now, Yes, I''ll be able to get a test kit, and I'll look at the levels :)

I'm pretty certain I said it earlier, but make sure you get a Master Test Kit, not strips. If you're going to test your water quality, you may as well get something accurate!

That always amazes me that pet stores (and even some clueless websites) considering "cycling" to mean setting up the tank and letting the filter run for a week. I guess they think it means to have the water cycle through the filter. As you have already been educated here, cycling is a process of ammonia production (fish waste and food) which feeds bacteria, which ends up keeping your ammonia at 0, nitrite at 0 and nitrate at lower than 20. It usually takes around 4-6 weeks, unless you can get ahold of something that is already seeded with bacteria, gravel from an established, cycled tank or preferentially seeded filter media. SafeStart from Tetra is said to contain the beneficial bacteria to "instantly cycle" tanks, however I've used it twice now and maybe it speeds the cycle up a little bit, but doesn't instantly cycle the tank. AT least not in my experience.

Good luck and keep asking questions. You'll learn lots and end up being able to teach those cluless people in the pet stores (not that they will believe you anyway! Believe me, I've tried!).

CodyL said:

Ghostie is a Ghost Shrimp lol :p

Good deal. The reason I asked is because I was worried the lfs sold you a Black Ghost Knife (gets up to 18") for a 10 gallon tank. My mind is at ease now, lol.

Good deal. The reason I asked is because I was worried the lfs sold you a Black Ghost Knife (gets up to 18") for a 10 gallon tank. My mind is at ease now, lol.

I wouldn't put it past some lfs's to sell someone a ghost knife for a 10 gal tank.:facepalm:

Another question, when I due the 20-30% water change, wonder if all the decorations are dirty? Just pull them out and clean it with a wash cloth? Same thing with the filter. The tube has gross stuff all over it. Turn it off and wipe it with a wash cloth? How do you guys do that?

Unless you have gross algae on the ornaments, leave them alone... BB will grow on those. The tube is worth cleaning to keep good water flow... Use the aquarium water you removed to help clean/ rinse.

Anything in the tank that needs cleaning such as the filter media, fake plants, etc... should only be lightly swished around in water from your fish tank. During water changes (pwc's), drain some water from your tank into a bucket and lightly swirl them around to knock off loose debris. Never clean things too thoroughly and never use water from your tap because it has chlorine and will kill all of the beneficial bacteria on them.

Another important thing to know is to never, ever replace your filter pads, sponges or other media unless it is absolutely falling apart. If it looks like it is getting towards the end of it's life, stick a new piece of filter right next to it and leave it there for a few weeks so it can seed the new filter with bacteria before you throw away the old one.

Back
Top Bottom