whats the proper way to dispose of a dead fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This thread turned into how to euthanize, but I thought the initial question was how to dispose of a fish that's already dead. I only had to do it once. I flushed it. But it was smaller. If it was larger I guess I'd put it in a trash bag and put it outside so that it didn't stink up the house from rotting until trash day.

NO!!! freezing WILL NOT WORK FOR TROPICAL FISH!! only for cold water fish! Tropical fish suffer the same way humans do, slowly and painfully, with ice crystals forming in their blood stream, and freezing gills so they suffocate for a long painful time. Cold water fish in the freezer WILL go dormate and fall asleep essentially. Although you should start with the fridge, then freezer once they are really lethargic, because it takes time to go into a "coma" after that, just keep them in there for hours until it's a block of ice to make sure your fish is really dead.

It was a goldfish I did this with luckily (they're considered cold water fish, right?) I guess you can chalk this up to a Vet knowing about as much as a PetSmart employee. Glad to know for the future.

And yes, the thread did begin about disposing of them, but in my experience you usually see them suffering and being eaten by other fish before they die, so putting them out of their misery usually goes hand in hand with disposing of them.

This was a good and informative thread for disposal and euthanasia im glad I had alot of feedback but for the record I would do the clove oil and alcohol over anything else because its seems as though they don't suffer

Yep yep :) good thread lol.

I remember a vet telling my to euthanize my prized 16" koi by taking it out of the water, putting it in a plastic bag and smashing it on the side walk outside!!!! (it's whole tail got ripped off because it got stuck under a rock.)

Good thing we know 'bout flippers and fins :D

And yes, the thread did begin about disposing of them, but in my experience you usually see them suffering and being eaten by other fish before they die, so putting them out of their misery usually goes hand in hand with disposing of them.

Not to mention last time we had a thread similar to this one, it was unclear whether or not the fish was dead. Once people started questioning if the fish was still alive, it got a little frantic.

I guess I led us off topic when I heard euthanasia mentioned because I still see it going hand in hand with disposal, but the way I see it is that lots of people who read this thread have learned something that contributes to the welfare of their fish which this entire site is about... including me.

And technically isn't it "OT" to be discussing how this thread got off topic?

I guess I led us off topic when I heard euthanasia mentioned because I still see it going hand in hand with disposal, but the way I see it is that lots of people who read this thread have learned something that contributes to the welfare of their fish which this entire site is about... including me.

And technically isn't it "OT" to be discussing how this thread got off topic?

That just might be a little irony...

After reading back my last post, I think I came off as harsh which was not my intention. I was trying to good naturadely make a point. I still stand behind my statement though that this discussion has helped me avoid making my fish suffer in the future.

As for disposal, I think if I had kids I'd let them bury the fish in the rose garden to help teach them to respect animals of all types. Since I don't, I think in a plastic bag put in the trash is perfectly appropriate.

eco23 said:
After reading back my last post, I think I came off as harsh which was not my intention. I was trying to good naturadely make a point. I still stand behind my statement though that this discussion has helped me avoid making my fish suffer in the future.

As for disposal, I think if I had kids I'd let them bury the fish in the rose garden to help teach them to respect animals of all types. Since I don't, I think in a plastic bag put in the trash is perfectly appropriate.

I didn't think you came across as harsh at all! I flush, but that's just because I think all things that come from the sea (even though I only have freshwater) should return to the sea, since as finding nemo said... "all drains lead to the ocean!"

Also a warning... If you do try to flush a fish make sure it actually gets flushed down the drain, or it will result in your wife screaming from the bathroom next time she goes in :)

Back
Top Bottom