whats the proper way to dispose of a dead fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

caj52

Aquarium Advice Activist
Because I heard flushing them is bad I was reading some ethical code so how would you dispose of them?

Flushing seems to be controversial. If you're on a septic system, I don't see a problem with it. If you're on a city sewer, that's where it becomes a little more difficult. If that's the case, I'd suggest digging a small hole and putting it in, or putting it in a flower garden/pot (they make good fertilizer for plants). Disclaimer: This is all assuming the fish had died. Make sure to appropriately euthanize a fish rather than flushing it or tossing it out to suffer.

What is considered a humane way to euthanize a fish? I had a dying fish once that the other fish were picking at, and I actually called my Vet to ask what to do. She told me I can put them in a large baggie (with tank water) and place it in the freezer because they're metabolism slows down and they go calmly. Is this what most people do?

I heard that you put them in clove oil until it turns white and when the fish stops swimming you put a cup of alcohol on them and they go quick n painless

There are many ways. I've heard of using vodka, but never tried it. I've only euthanized one fish. I did the freezing method, but a little different. I put a cup of water in the freezer, got it ice covered on top, then broke up the ice, put the fish in, and put it back in the freezer.

I leave dead fish in the grass to decompose or for a cat to scoop up. I live in the city now, though, so grass is a rarity. Haven't had a fish death yet this time around except for a random disappearance.

I live out in the country, and get attached to any pet, no matter the species, so I bury my dead fish.

Courtesy of Dakota's iPod.

No method would really be 'humane' from the fishes stand point. Thank goodness we dont do people that way. ;p

No method would really be 'humane' from the fishes stand point. Thank goodness we dont do people that way. ;p

Dead fish get torn up in open water. So, I don't think they mind!

Perhaps I'm among the minority, but when I have a fish die I am really not that torn. Maybe that's just because I've only lost small inexpensive species. If I lost a cichlid when I kept them, I think then I'd be a little upset. I am more torn at the fact as to whether or not it was because of me, ie: nitrite toxicity.

Yeah some my fishes were a lil pricey or there so old I've gained emotional attachment either way their living so I care about them

Well, yeah, I care about their well-being immensely. I don't have many fish deaths ever really so I can't say much on the matter. But it is what it is when it happens.

Any suffering fish I've had have been decapitated. It's instant so no suffering. I'm not comfortable with the clove oil method or freezing. I think instant is most humane.

The Moors we lost a while back I buried in a rose bed. My daughter would always go to that part of the yard first (they were hers) and I think she'd say a little something to them. She cried for a couple 3 hours after they past. Never gonna get petco fish again because of that.

Sent from my Epic 4G using Aquarium

NO!!! freezing WILL NOT WORK FOR TROPICAL FISH!! only for cold water fish! Tropical fish suffer the same way humans do, slowly and painfully, with ice crystals forming in their blood stream, and freezing gills so they suffocate for a long painful time. Cold water fish in the freezer WILL go dormate and fall asleep essentially. Although you should start with the fridge, then freezer once they are really lethargic, because it takes time to go into a "coma" after that, just keep them in there for hours until it's a block of ice to make sure your fish is really dead.

I love most all animals from fish to birds to turtle to dogs to lizards rats and frogs chickens and rabbits. I can't say what's humane but I'd go with two. Place Hm in the garden or off with his head...to repeat a phrase heard here earlier: it is what it is..
Circle of life and he's gone full circle...

I definitely consider clove oil and alcohol to be much more humane. The purpose of the clove oil is to put the fish to sleep, the alcohol kills. Apparently they don't feel a thing. Never had to practice it luckily, but read all about the various methods.

I use the clove oil and place the fish into the freezer once it's out.

In the past when I did not have clove oil available, I've done MFD's freezing method several times. If the water is very, very cold (with a crust of ice on top), the fish will pass really quickly. I do not recommend putting the fish in normal temperature water for the freezing method.

Back
Top Bottom