What's your Everest? (in fish keeping)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PJFISH

Aquarium Advice Freak
So let me explain, I've been trying my hand at keeping Scarlet Badis for at least a year, may be more. I've had a few of them last quite a long time, but in the meanwhile I've had at least 10-15 die. I've done everything I can reasonably due to feed them properly, but I've come to the point that I just don't think I can try my hand at them anymore. Don't see any in the tank, just gone - like all the others. One day their there, the next their gone. No other fish in the tank except Endler's. What's the fish that's proved to be everyone's Everest, you just can't conquer keeping successfully?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

No idea why, but I can't keep oto's longer than a few months. Not sure if it's the supplier or something I'm doing/not doing.

Neon tetras. I've had 1 for a month the rest die in the bag coming home or within a week or so of getting them

Keep calm and drum on

No idea why, but I can't keep oto's longer than a few months. Not sure if it's the supplier or something I'm doing/not doing.

I had the same issue as well. They developed some sort of fungus, but no other fish did.

Neon tetras. I've had 1 for a month the rest die in the bag coming home or within a week or so of getting them

Keep calm and drum on

Neons are ver water specific, need parameters just right. I've stayed away from them out of fear!!!

Gouramis. I never managed to keep any species alive for very long. And I never enjoyed them very much.

To breed Wild discus i collected myself from a collecting trip to the amazon. Tis my dream. I have a 5yr plan and a savings acct just for that purpose. Got a 300gl tank in the garage for housing. Looong term climb, my everest is.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

To breed Wild discus i collected myself from a collecting trip to the amazon. Tis my dream. I have a 5yr plan and a savings acct just for that purpose. Got a 300gl tank in the garage for housing. Looong term climb, my everest is.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

That's an awesome dream!! Hope you achieve it!

My Everest is my GBR!
When I feel I have reached the top or accept I have done the best I can , I will move to another fish.
I have easily met my all out goal to replace more then I take( which is a way of life for me),but my production could still be better(the air is thin up here!).

I had four GBRs die on me. Two lasted about four months. Also, cories, of all things, don't seem to do well for me. They don't last longer than a few months. Even the easier ones, like the Peppered. Oh, and I can't keep guppies alive long (I'm sure it's bad breeding from the place I got them) and mollies. Although at the moment I have 4 Gold Dust mollies I've had for about 6 months. Don't have a clue about that! And some platies will die for me, while others live for years.

Mine is actually freshwater shrimp...

I can keep anything happy and healthy (including discus) but every time I try shrimp they all die within the week.

But yet I have 2 saltwater shrimp that are perfectly fine.

Caleb

A 30 or more tank breeding setup for a number of different fish. Aphysemion Australe, orinoco angel pleco, discus, a few different types of apistos, and some others i haven't decided on yet.

Neon tetras in a planted high-tech tank. The neons would be challenging enough but trying to ferts dose for plants but not stress neons would be a bridge too far.

It would be nice to do though. I'd just have a huge school of neons and just a couple of other fish.

Mine is actually freshwater shrimp...

I can keep anything happy and healthy (including discus) but every time I try shrimp they all die within the week.

But yet I have 2 saltwater shrimp that are perfectly fine.

Caleb

Don't give up hope yet! I has similar trouble with shrimp too, but recently I've had more success. I chalk up some losses, no matter how well I acclimate them. Overall though, many of the shrimp I've purchased recently are still alive. Try Amano shrimp, they seem to be very hardy!

I never understood how people found neons so hard. I got 10 from a chain store... Acclimated like an hour, and have had 0 casualties in like 5 months. Keep in mind this tank is under my brothers care (he's still new to the hobby somewhat).

It's all about finding a healthy batch IMO.

Caleb

Plants. I have a black thumb, combined with a tank full of Uaru that devour plants. Finally getting my 75 going but need root tabs badly

Back
Top Bottom