Where to buy foam to place under the aquarium?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cksasquatch

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm setting up a 125g for the first time tomorrow on a homemade stand. I've read to place styrofoam or some kind of padding on the stand to rest the aquarium on. Where can I buy this and what is it called? I checked menards and all I found was big 3/4" sheets of polytherune? Styrofoam? It was for house insulation. Is this the right stuff? Thanks.

If you just want some padding got to a fabric store and get the padding to redo chairs and stiff

Whatever works with helping balance through the minor imperfections in the wood.

The padding that is used under laminate flooring works great.
Just put the tank on it and trim the excess with a knife.
That's what I used and you can't even see it when done.

I ended up buying some cheapo flat carpet from Home Depot. That should work right?

I ended up buying some cheapo flat carpet from Home Depot. That should work right?

I just use the 3/4" styrofoam they sell at Home Depot or Lowe's found in the insulation department. It's a package of 5 sheets and cheap enough. The reason you use padding underneath is to compensate for any unlevelness of the area the tank is in. That thickness of styro will let the tank do a lot of shifting without breaking any seams or glass panes. I even use it on my 10 gal tanks as they are outdoors on an uneven surface so there is some real styro squishing going on out there. LOL ( BTW, some of my tanks are over 30 years old and have been set up in 4 other locations, all on the same type styrofoam. There must be something to it :brows: )
If you are using a homemade stand, you may even want to double up the styro. I'm not saying you are a bad carpenter or the stand is no good but why not take a little extra precaution? It's a lot cheaper than 125 gals of water on the floor or in the carpets :whistle:

Hope this helps (y)

If you just want some padding got to a fabric store and get the padding to redo chairs and stiff

That will smell if it gets well styrofoam doesn't absorb water

And the stuff some of you are recommending may work great on a small tank but a 125 has much more weight and will compact the under floor stuff even without water

1/2" or 3/4" styrofoam will work fine

Back
Top Bottom