Where's my NitrItes??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flyfishfan1966

Aquarium Advice Regular
Been cycling a 180 for the last 17 days.
I moved a BioWheel 350 from a mature 29, in addition to custom trickle system.

I just tested water and here's what I got.

Ammo 1
NitrAtes 5
NitrItes 0
Ph 7.6

Shouldn't I have had nitrI before nitrA??
Or do I got it backwards?

Also, had started with a fishless cycle, couldn't stand it, dumped all water and added 25 Bloodfin tetras to start a fish in cycle.
Gettin ready to do water change if necessary.

Thanks

With adding the seeded filter media and the fact you only have a few fish in that size tank you obviously have enough nitrobactor (bacteria that converts nitrites to nitrates) in the seeded media to handle the tanks bio-load. As you increase your stock, depending on how many fish you add at a time, you may or may not see ammonia and or nitrites.

You also want to keep ammonia and nitrite to no higher than .25ppm so you need to do a WC to bring your levels down. Hope your using a water changer on that size tank. I have one or I'd never be able to do my weekly 50% WC on my 220g.

I just siphon out the window and fill four 32 gal tubs, Prime and use a Flotek pump to pump back in. My girlfriend control the pump power button as I move it tub to tub.
Takes roughly an hour.
Any better ideas??

FYI, I'm paranoid about the chlorine and probably overdue the Prime a bit.

Looks like you have some catching up to do on the bacteria. Your seeded media has both types of bb, but not enough-that explains the ammonia. The other bb are there and converting all the nitrite as fast as they can get it. You may not see nitrites after the ammonia goes down, I never saw nitrite with seeded media.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I use an Aqueon water changer. One person can do it and basically all you need to do is hook it up to the faucet, turn the valve for removing and adding water, and let it do the work. After I drain the water, I set the temp to what I want for filling, turn the valve, then go out to the tank and add the amount of Prime for dosing the entire tank. It works great and have been doing this for years.

No there is no worry. I started using this method when filling or cleaning out the ponds we have back in the 90's and still use it to this day. I have never had problems and actually tons of people use this method.

Back
Top Bottom