Which loaches will go with Rams?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

swanandmokashi

Aquarium Advice FINatic
While I am fighting with BGA in my new tank (no fish in there yet), I got a few pond snails as hitchhikers from the plants. I would like to keep loaches to get rid of them.

I plan on keeping Rams -- specifically 3-4 GBRs in this tank. Which loaches will be fine with them ? Other fish will be a few Bloodfin tetras (10-12), cory cats(6) and ottos(3).

I tis a 55 gallon tank.

You will want yo-yo loaches for sure. I had them to clear out snails in my old 29 gallon tank (I was literally throwing out a hundred or more a day before the loaches) and they were ALL gone in under a week. Not a sign of ONE after the to yo-yo's I bought. They ARE the loach to get for snail removal and seeing as how they only get 3 inches long they would be ideal to keep with rams. They look pretty cool too.

go for clown loachs if your tank is big enough, they wipe out snails like crazy and are extremely friendly, they would be ok with rams

Yes, yo-yo's will be compatible with any rams. I would go with them over the clowns. Clowns can get a foot long and yo-yo's stay relatively small at around 3" as I have already stated. 3-4 of them would out-work a clown IMO due to there being more mouths and more area covered.

I have (4) YoYo Loaches and (4) Dojo Loaches in my 75 with a pair of Bolivian Rams. In my 46 I have (4) Dojos with a pair of Bolivian Rams. They get along just fine. I've never seen any issues at all between any of them.

as much as i dont like their personality (abnormally timid and insecure to wild and idiotic) kuhli loaches say about 3" and cleaned up some rams, pond, even an MTS

Kabotia's have been known to kill Yo Yo's. Probably because they are simular in appearance. I don't have Yo Yo's, I do have many Kabotias. I've read about the problems between the two on Loaches.com. My Kabotias are with many small fish such as Rams, Apistos, Corys, Even Endlers and they don't bother any of them.

The biggest problem with Loaches of any kind and Rams is that if the Rams spawn the Loaches will eat the eggs and almost NO fish will stop them.

Back
Top Bottom