White Algae Growing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

frankf48

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
It is growing on the artificial and real plants also other ornaments. It was in my 10 gallon and I upgraded to to a 20 gallon high. Does not grow on the glass. All my water specs I tasted and are within range. Any ideas on how to get rid of it? I remove the plants and decos and scrub and rinse them but to no avail.

I've never experienced white algae before, but I have encountered white fungus. If you are keeping up on your tank maintenance and still are having the problem then "snails" might be the answer. Research snails for the variety that works for you. Snails will eat the fungus off the plants, decor as well as the gravel. Good luck.

What is your filtration method? I think you need higher water flow to get rid of them.

It is growing on the artificial and real plants also other ornaments. It was in my 10 gallon and I upgraded to to a 20 gallon high. Does not grow on the glass. All my water specs I tasted and are within range. Any ideas on how to get rid of it? I remove the plants and decos and scrub and rinse them but to no avail.
20170809_071703.jpg my 20 gallon

I think your hang on filter not good enough for your tank. You should consider about buying canister filter for more water flow. I am using cheapest one on my 13 gallon tank. It works well.

I don't think the filter is the problem here. If water flow is a concern, there are cheaper ways to increase it than buying a new filter. Powerheads work well, in my experience.

Also, +1 on the snail recommendation.

By the way, what's your tank maintenance schedule like?

I don't think the filter is the problem here. If water flow is a concern, there are cheaper ways to increase it than buying a new filter. Powerheads work well, in my experience.

Also, +1 on the snail recommendation.

By the way, what's your tank maintenance schedule like?

Every two weeks with 25% water change. I have to change Aqueon filter less then a week because of buildup of waste. I only feed fish once a day in the morning. 5 Zebra Danios, 3 Cory Cats. 1 Pleco, 2 Tetra and 2 Black Tetra.

When you say you change the Aqueon filter, do you mean the cartridges? If so, that's a big issue. If you change your cartridges, you're tank must go through another cycle, as you're getting rid of the vast majority of your good bacteria. You should just rinse them in old tank water.

Also 25% every two weeks seems very little. I'd recommend 25% weekly.

Also, what kind of pleco is it? Many species put out a tremendous bioload, which would require you to do larger water changes more frequently.

Also, what kind of pleco is it? Many species put out a tremendous bioload, which would require you to do larger water changes more frequently.

I showed a picture of the tank to an aquarium store. The man has been there for years. He said it is food. I am feeding them too much. He said to turn off the pump when I feed them. Three to four minutes tops until food is eaten. Giving it a try.

I just got an Aqueon 50 today. It moves 250 GPH where the 20 moves 125GPH. Will see how this works out.
20170816_181817.jpg
Here is an updated photo with the new Aqueon 50 filter. I lessened the amount of food and also added a couple snails and three tetras.

Back
Top Bottom