White particles in water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MineShaker

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm having these white particles in my aquarium and are really bugging me what is it and what should I do?ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1449688656.888780.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1449688718.108014.jpg

Sent from the crayfish lover Mine Shaker

Kind of hard to tell from pictures, does it look more like sand getting kicked up or like small air bubbles?

I have the air bubble look in only 1 of my tanks, none of the others have it. Im not sure whats causing it tbh but i kinda just got used to it. Its pretty heavily stocked tanks but lots of plants. No amount of water changes fixes it.

If its sand i would just shut the filter and any air stones off for a while and let it settle.

Kind of hard to tell from pictures, does it look more like sand getting kicked up or like small air bubbles?

I have the air bubble look in only 1 of my tanks, none of the others have it. Im not sure whats causing it tbh but i kinda just got used to it. Its pretty heavily stocked tanks but lots of plants. No amount of water changes fixes it.

If its sand i would just shut the filter and any air stones off for a while and let it settle.

It's not sand it's looks more like powder I use sand in all my tanks but this one is the only one with this issue

Honestly i think its the same thing i have, I haven't found a fix at all, water changes don't do crap. Its got tons of java moss, java fern and floating plants and it still looks like that. None of my others have the problem either.

Honestly i think its the same thing i have, I haven't found a fix at all, water changes don't do crap. Its got tons of java moss, java fern and floating plants and it still looks like that. None of my others have the problem either.

Does it effect fish. Like can they die from it? Also what type of bio media do you use

All thats in the tanks for me is a 20gallon sponge filter (10 gallon tank) and a heater (along with the plants). Its an endler breeding tanks so its a bit overstocked but i do 25% wc every 3 days. The first ones have been in their over 8 months. i just had one die yesterday but i don't think that has anything to do with this.

I have another 10gallon right next to it with RCS and another kind of endler. Same kind/size sponge filter same heater same plants and everything. Only difference being one is sand and one is basically bare bottom with minor amount of gravel (one with problem).

You have a lot of bubbles being produced in your tank and the surface has a lot of residual air bubbles along the water line. I would turn off the bubblers for an hour and see if you have the same problem. It's hard from the picture to tell if it's bubbles or solids. You could grab a pint glass of the tank water and put on a flat surface and observe. If the 'dust' rises slowly leaving the bottom of the water clear then your have micro bubbles. If the opposite happens and the 'dust' sinks then you have solids. It might give you a clue towards the solution.

You have a lot of bubbles being produced in your tank and the surface has a lot of residual air bubbles along the water line. I would turn off the bubblers for an hour and see if you have the same problem. It's hard from the picture to tell if it's bubbles or solids. You could grab a pint glass of the tank water and put on a flat surface and observe. If the 'dust' rises slowly leaving the bottom of the water clear then your have micro bubbles. If the opposite happens and the 'dust' sinks then you have solids. It might give you a clue towards the solution.

They are bubbles. Thanks for the help :) But they don't burst when they hit the surface. What should I do?

They are bubbles. Thanks for the help :) But they don't burst when they hit the surface. What should I do?

Increase the water flow across the surface of the water without introducing more air, I have my filter outlet just below or on the water line. Have it as high as you can before it starts to produce bubbles in the turbulence.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom