Who all uses aqadvisor's stocking calculator?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Luananeko

Aquarium Advice Addict
I typically use aqadvisor.com's stocking calculator as a sanity check on what all I can put in my tank when doing stocking plans, and I was wondering what other folks thought of it. If you use it, how full do you tend to go? Depending on who I talk to people always tell me they think it's either pretty conservative or quite the opposite...

My current tank is a 75 gallon planted with double filters, and I do 30-50% weekly water changes, so I wasn't sure if aiming for 100% stocking was reasonable, too high, or too low (doubt that one, probably one of the first two). At the moment I'd consider the tank moderately planted, but once the plants finish filling in it should be fairly heavily planted along the back and middle areas, with lots and lots of hidey holes and things to block line of sight.

Just curious to see what folks thought :) Thanks!

I typically use aqadvisor.com's stocking calculator as a sanity check on what all I can put in my tank when doing stocking plans, and I was wondering what other folks thought of it. If you use it, how full do you tend to go? Depending on who I talk to people always tell me they think it's either pretty conservative or quite the opposite...

My current tank is a 75 gallon planted with double filters, and I do 30-50% weekly water changes, so I wasn't sure if aiming for 100% stocking was reasonable, too high, or too low (doubt that one, probably one of the first two). At the moment I'd consider the tank moderately planted, but once the plants finish filling in it should be fairly heavily planted along the back and middle areas, with lots and lots of hidey holes and things to block line of sight.

Just curious to see what folks thought :) Thanks!

I use it, the assumption that every fish is full grown can be problematic but I find it a reasonable guide, especially due to my limited experience.

That said it doesn't work too well will young 1-2 inch Clown Loaches, i.e. my 150G tank is stocked 110% with the 12 inches of fish :D

I use it, the assumption that every fish is full grown can be problematic but I find it a reasonable guide, especially due to my limited experience.

That said it doesn't work too well will young 1-2 inch Clown Loaches, i.e. my 150G tank is stocked 110% with the 12 inches of fish :D

Yeah, it tries to take their eventual size into account rather than making the not so safe assumption that you'll be upgrading the tank when they need you to ;) There is the "Use juvenile sizes" option though, which hopefully helps if you do plan on upgrading! I haven't messed with that option since all the fish I tend to keep stay under 6 inches, so they don't have as drastic of a growth curve.

I used this with my 45 gallon and it says with 9 Corys and 4 Tetras I'm at 78%
:confused::confused:

Kind of a barren tank if I can only get a few more fish.

I think it's a crock as a stocking tool. I don't recommend it to anyone, friend or foe.

I don't trust it. I never have and after entering some of my tanks into it and it says I'm at 281% of stocking, I'll never even waste my time going there again.

It can be a general guideline as far as compatibility but even that is flawed. It will tell you can't keep angels with neons because the angels will eat them. I kept an angel and neons in the same tank for years and never had an issue. At the same time, it doesn't say anything about guppies and angels, which I found my angel devoured adult guppies.

It all depends on the temperament of the fish and nothing can be a cut and dry guide as far as stocking. Nothing will replace good ol' fashioned research.

I don't trust it. I never have and after entering some of my tanks into it and it says I'm at 281% of stocking, I'll never even waste my time going there again.

It can be a general guideline as far as compatibility but even that is flawed. It will tell you can't keep angels with neons because the angels will eat them. I kept an angel and neons in the same tank for years and never had an issue. At the same time, it doesn't say anything about guppies and angels, which I found my angel devoured adult guppies.

It all depends on the temperament of the fish and nothing can be a cut and dry guide as far as stocking. Nothing will replace good ol' fashioned research.

Yeah, I've noticed it tends to be overly cautious on the fish temperment side for the most part (although I have had angels eat the eyes out of my neons before), but it seemed like the stocking calculator part was at least a ballpark idea. I never go completely off the calculator without doing any of my own research, but judging how many fish is "too many" has always been something that doesn't seem to be very clear.

So I guess since I'm overfiltering and doing big weekly water changes, I shouldn't freak out if I go over the 100% mark? Or is there another method for double checking your stocking levels that is better?

It really all boils down to common sense and knowing what fish you are keeping. I've got 20 some fish in a 75g, aquadvisor would scream at me. It is overfiltered, weekly water changes, and the majority of the fish have a light bioload (tetras).

While I don't think I can add any more fish, I shouldn't need to rehome any either. That is something a website will never be able to figure out.

Luananeko said:
So I guess since I'm overfiltering and doing big weekly water changes, I shouldn't freak out if I go over the 100% mark? Or is there another method for double checking your stocking levels that is better?

My tank is calculated at about 140% and says that my guppys will outgrow my tank. In fact it even says my neons are not suitable.

The way I see it, as far as bioload, if it says tank is 100% stocked, but filters are 200%, your bioload is only really at 50%.

For my personal choices of fish, aquadvisor ain't worth jack.

It always tells me my tetras will nip my angels..I have never has it happen

awilson133 said:
It always tells me my tetras will nip my angels..I have never has it happen

Actually a few people have said that, think its more of a possibility than a regular issue maybe?

Barakis said:
Actually a few people have said that, think its more of a possibility than a regular issue maybe?

It is..but I've also have seen it say they cant Co exist. Pristella tetras and angels. I've gotten to different anwsers

awilson133 said:
It is..but I've also have seen it say they can Co exist. Pristella tetras and angels. I've gotten to different anwsers

The dangers of research, can never guarantee it lol. I suppose it's about balance and finding the majority view? I had neons and angels for a while, no issues at all.

I'm sorry I meant can't. Another thing that bugs me is stocking level too

I definitely prefer that the calculator is overly cautious about which fish will coexist. If I know in advance that there's a chance they'll have issues I can watch for it if I decide to try it. If I have no idea two species might have problems then I have to scramble together a backup plan if things go south.

Luananeko said:
I definitely prefer that the calculator is overly cautious about which fish will coexist. If I know in advance that there's a chance they'll have issues I can watch for it if I decide to try it. If I have no idea two species might have problems then I have to scramble together a backup plan if things go south.

Ehhh you do have a point there..cause I agree I wouldn't wanna put a mix of ciclids in with goldfish and it say its fine.

Its one of those things where if you've done your research you can look at the warning and go "I know that already and am prepared for it should it happen" and move on ;)

The lists of warnings on my current stocking plan are a little daunting until you realize that 50% of them are about how bettas are vicious killing machines that shouldn't be kept with anyone else. *looks over at the betta completely ignoring a male guppy that just crashed into his face* Oh yeah. Real killer fish there.

i just went on it. it said a peacock eel could reach 6 inches(more like 12...)and yoyo loaches could hit 10 inches(like 6 max). it also said that at 6 inches a peacock eel would outgrow my 55...lol

It's an amusing little tool and I actually use it to find out dimensions of tanks and sometimes I play around with it.

Back
Top Bottom