Why are Neon Tetras so hard to keep ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rafy0126

Aquarium Advice Activist
I bought a few months ago now I only got 4 left, I haven't had a death in my tank for months a few days back one neon laying down on the gravel. My parameters are good my tank temp is 86* I found keeping a 2" Discus is easier than This fish. Should I try some Cardinals ? Some input would be appreciated...

Where did you get these tetras? How many did you start with? Also, what else is in the tank? They are pretty small, and can sometimes be bullied by other fish. I have a school of 7 that i've had for months now with no problem.

My experience is that neons are far more hardy than cardinals. Both prefer more established tanks and good water parameters. If both of those conditions are met they can live for years.

My tank is being running for 6 months, most of my stock are other tetras, red eyes, black tetras and some red serpae, I got some gbr and 5 discus. The tank is 125 gal. I got a bunch of plants, I never seen any fish bullying them. I get most of my fish from Petco I like the 30 days warranty. I'm about to give up !

Have you recently added any new fish? I've had some bad luck with my local petco, its almost always infested with ich.. but that could easily be a store issue.

Have you recently added any new fish? I've had some bad luck with my local petco, its almost always infested with ich.. but that could easily be a store issue.

Nope no new fish and yeah I've seen some bad fish there however nothing beats walmart. I really like this fish they like great as a school. Could it be the high temp ?

It could've just been a "bad batch" of neons that you got from.

I had 6 neons before and all of them died within 2 months. When I decided to restock, the new set of 6 neons are hardy as ever (even survived a 17 day no-feeding fiasco...long story short my house keeper only watched my guinea pigs and completely forgot about my tanks ::facepalm::).

I have school of 8 of them for 3 months so far all ok. But another 5 That I got recently all gone!

Might be a bad batch too.

It could've just been a "bad batch" of neons that you got from.

I had 6 neons before and all of them died within 2 months. When I decided to restock, the new set of 6 neons are hardy as ever (even survived a 17 day no-feeding fiasco...long story short my house keeper only watched my guinea pigs and completely forgot about my tanks ::facepalm::).

I thought about that too, might give them another chance, for the price of a Cardinal you can buy 5 Neons.

86 seems warm for this species.

I often see losses with chain store fish, its usually 1-2 when I buy a group of 6-7. But like you I have no problem purchasing chain given the 30 days guarantee.

I have found that Green Tetras are very hardy and in my opinion prettier than Neons. However, I've only found them through independent fish shops not chains.

Agreed. I missed the temperature. 86 is high.

Well is a Discus tank and I see neons are kept with Discus. If the temperature is high for them I might go with Cardinals. I will look this up...

I don't think it is extremely high, but it is definitely on the high end. Acclimation could have been part of the issue as I am sure the tank they came out of was 5-10 degrees cooler. I would just do your best to temp acclimate slowly if you add another batch.

I don't think it is extremely high, but it is definitely on the high end. Acclimation could have been part of the issue as I am sure the tank they came out of was 5-10 degrees cooler. I would just do your best to temp acclimate slowly if you add another batch.

I always use the drop method(or whatever is called) lol,I don't know if I keep buying them or switch to Cardinals.

Cardinals will be far more sensitive than neons - I can tell you that from a lot of experience with keeping both.

Cardinals will be far more sensitive than neons - I can tell you that from a lot of experience with keeping both.

But they might do better in high temperature. Actually my tank is 85 when the light kick it goes to 86. You convinced me I'm not going to buy Cardinals.

Temperature wise I don't think it will make much difference. Since you have a discus tank, I assume you have pristine water conditions and probably soft water, which would make keeping cardinals a bit easier than normal, but still they are more finicky than neons.

86 seems warm for this species.

I often see losses with chain store fish, its usually 1-2 when I buy a group of 6-7. But like you I have no problem purchasing chain given the 30 days guarantee.

I have found that Green Tetras are very hardy and in my opinion prettier than Neons. However, I've only found them through independent fish shops not chains.

I thought the 86 was a typo. That almost has to be the problem. Three sources say too high temp:

From wiki:
Neon tetra - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
are best kept in a densely planted tank with subdued light and an ideal temperature of 21–27°C (70–81°F) to resemble their native Amazon environments.

aqadvisor.com says 68-82.

Tropical Fish for Freshwater Aquariums: Neon Tetra Jumbo
says 68-74F.

For Discuss:
aquadvisor.com says 82 degrees
Wiki is silent
Tropical Fish for Freshwater Aquariums: Green Discus, Symphysodon sp.
says 79-86F.

Thus ...... temperature wise ....... the two fish appear nearly incompatible at anything over about 80F.

I keep my tanks 75-76F. All fish including 8 neons are vibrant, healthy, & unfortunately growing fast !!!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom