Why do people not like goldfish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I love everyone's answers. There's so many reasons. I currently have 14 koi and 3 comets. I really miss having fancy goldfish (even though they def have some issues with their genetics as you guys mentioned) but there just isn't anymore room anymore. One day I dream of having a huge tank spanning from wall to wall and then I will dedicate it to goldfish. I could rescue alot of feeder fish and "bowl" fish with that much room haha.

Also, I will never look at tinsel the same way again.

Lol. I like them. Haven't kept them in years but will happily watch them in a good tank, or even better I think in a large pond.

Everyone has their own taste in fish. One's perception of what is deemed as 'beautiful' or 'attractive' or even appealing differs from person (and this doesn't just apply to fish!). So, to each their own! I love my messy piggies and their puppy dog personalities and just don't see the appeal in a tank with a bunch of little fish. I prefer one or two big fish with big personalities instead. :)

I couldn't agree more! :)

The problems are that many people think that they are very dirty, and that you can only keep 4 in a 50 gallon, but if you ask me, if you do your water changes weekly, I don't think it's bad to keep 5 fish that can grow to be 10 inches long, I love goldfish

I love goldfish of most kinds. Black moors, orandas, ranchus and lionheads are my favorite, but I love a regular old fancy or ryukin as well (especially black, bronze and silver). I once had a steely blue colored Oranda that was gorgeous - a perfect wen that wasn't too big or small, and big puffy cheeks. Sadly he didn't survive long past quarantine.

I tend to like boring/ugly fish though, lol. My idea of an awesome fish is a brown hoplo, a bullhead, an eeltail catfish or even a lake chubsucker. I've never been much for the colorful tropicals - at most I enjoy gold barbs, golden wonder killies, rosy barbs or something with unique coloration like a chocolate cichlid.

Goldfish (like catfish!) are just too cute, IMO. People seem to think goldfish are dumb as dirt, but the three that I currently keep are just as smart as any of my other fish, and even more personable than some.

The problems are that many people think that they are very dirty, and that you can only keep 4 in a 50 gallon, but if you ask me, if you do your water changes weekly, I don't think it's bad to keep 5 fish that can grow to be 10 inches long, I love goldfish

You're right. I think the stigma that surrounds goldfish being dirty is partly due to them being a poor "beginner fish" that a lot of people get and don't know how to properly maintain a tank for.

With the same liberal feeding schedule as my other fish (every other day, sparingly) I never noticed the tank being significantly more dirty than my others. Perhaps this is because my goldfish tanks were/are heavily planted and the nitrates were easy to control with a weekly water change and a filter cleaning every 2 weeks (again, just like my non goldfish tanks). I think every goldie tank should have the luxury of plants, but that's just me, lol.

This really is unrealistic to even suggest stocking five 10in fish in a 50g. Species is irrelevant. It doesn't matter if your doing 100% water changes daily either. The only thing you will end up with is sick and stunted fish. Keep in mind that while the majority of goldfish growth occurs in the first 2-3 years of life, goldfish never stop growing through out their lives. One of my fancies is a tight fit in a 55g but the pictures below speak for themselves.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...uire-big-tanks-visual-perspective-265871.html

I Like them I have 2. I think people don't care for them because they are common. I actually have been keeping tanks for 25 years and got my first goldfish 3 years ago. I thought they were to common then I realized how pretty they real are.

I love everyone's answers. There's so many reasons. I currently have 14 koi and 3 comets. I really miss having fancy goldfish (even though they def have some issues with their genetics as you guys mentioned) but there just isn't anymore room anymore. One day I dream of having a huge tank spanning from wall to wall and then I will dedicate it to goldfish. I could rescue alot of feeder fish and "bowl" fish with that much room haha.

Also, I will never look at tinsel the same way again.

You have 14 koi in a tank? koi should only be kept in ponds 1000gallons or more. In the first year they can reach over a foot long. 14 is actually ridiculous, if someone were to stuff 14 tiger oscars in a tank, there would be uproar even though Koi completely dwarf oscars no one else has mentioned it. This just ISNT going to work in any shape or form. Your fish will be horribly stunted and all sorts of other physical dismorphia. Koi are some of my favorite and most beautiful fish in the world. I have always thought the angle they look most beautiful was from above looking from the top down.

As far as I can tell, Fullmoonnight never specified that the koi or comets are kept in an aquarium. There's nothing saying the fish aren't in a huge pond. Let's not jump to conclusions. :)

You have 14 koi in a tank? koi should only be kept in ponds 1000gallons or more. In the first year they can reach over a foot long. 14 is actually ridiculous, if someone were to stuff 14 tiger oscars in a tank, there would be uproar even though Koi completely dwarf oscars no one else has mentioned it. This just ISNT going to work in any shape or form. Your fish will be horribly stunted and all sorts of other physical dismorphia. Koi are some of my favorite and most beautiful fish in the world. I have always thought the angle they look most beautiful was from above looking from the top down.

He never said they were in a tank. he most likely has them in a pond.

If not, good. Wanted to state and make the facts clear. If my post stops someone else keeping carp in an aquarium then ive done my job.

I personally hate goldfish.

GOLDFISH! They are the most disgusting snack ever. Why is it cheesy? Like, they're swimming around in cheesy water? Gross. That's where our water stream comes from. So in reality, we are all drinking cheese and water. Nutritious? Back to my point, goldfish are so disgusting and I hate them so much that I needed to make an account today to tell everyone I hate goldfish. They are so stupid like a GOLDFISH.

I love my goldfish, possibly the best of all. They are highly active, look like fish and are beautiful. I have some gorgeous calico fantails and Shubunkins with many shades of blue.

One of my beautiful goldfish. This is a Shubunkin

Attachments

• F80E965B-114F-49B9-BA71-5097A4DE9AC4.jpg
    F80E965B-114F-49B9-BA71-5097A4DE9AC4.jpg
    163.2 KB · Views: 13
I don’t think it’s a matter of people hating the fish, it’s just the issue of how much waste they produce.

Nobody likes to see a mostly empty tank, and nobody likes to be doing constant water changes. So of course when a newbie is looking at suggestions for stocking, it’s quite easy to recommend a higher stocked tank of different species with less maintenance required (more eye candy and less work!)

I don’t mind them at all, I’ve had some in the past (now in the pond) and prefer to use their old tank for a much more diverse population which would have otherwise been gobbled up by the goldfish! Lol

My goldfish tank, a 125 G with ~ten fish, is as sparkling clean as my other tanks. I do a 50% water change weekly, sometimes more like 60% when I take my eyes off the draining tank. It has 3 filters, 2 AquaClear 110 and a similar sized Tidal Wave. I have options should I ever decide they’ve outgrown the tank. A previous owner of my house built a nice koi pond by the front porch. But I prefer having them in my living space, so may subdivide the group should the need arise & buy another tank. I see people often selling great big tanks at good prices. The husband says he’s had it crawling under the floors to install 4x4 supports, but he’ll get over it. Or else…..

My goldfish tank, a 125 G with ~ten fish, is as sparkling clean as my other tanks. I do a 50% water change weekly, sometimes more like 60% when I take my eyes off the draining tank. It has 3 filters, 2 AquaClear 110 and a similar sized Tidal Wave. I have options should I ever decide they’ve outgrown the tank. A previous owner of my house built a nice koi pond by the front porch. But I prefer having them in my living space, so may subdivide the group should the need arise & buy another tank. I see people often selling great big tanks at good prices. The husband says he’s had it crawling under the floors to install 4x4 supports, but he’ll get over it. Or else…..

LOL :)

You could put some of the goldfish out in the pond for a few months in winter and spring and let them breed. Then pick out some nice young to go in another tank indoors ;)

Not in the winter! It freezes here & I think they go dormant under the top ice layer. Not really sure. But recall reading they need deep ponds in this frigid climate. I have to keep a spitting brass heron in the pond summers to disrupt mosquito breeding. :fish2::fish2::fish2::fish2:

Back
Top Bottom