wierd white stuff coming from filter output?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

liberator123

Aquarium Advice Activist
Kind of hard to explain, so just look at the pictures below. What is this? Tank is still going through a cycle (its 2.5g tank, i know its going to be hard). ive been adding seachem stability and microbe-lift's cycling kit. Should I be worried about this? is it fungus or possibly bacteria? thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0566.jpg
    IMG_0566.jpg
    228.9 KB · Views: 175
  • IMG_0567.jpg
    IMG_0567.jpg
    251.4 KB · Views: 139
It's a little hard to see in your picture...what filter media are you using? I see sponges and..something else that I'm not sure what it is? White lump? :)

Hope it can't open the fridge by itself! Can't tell - is it foam?

Edit: I mean water froth foam not media foam.

Is the tank planted and what substrate did you use?

I had a similar sort of build up in my dirted tank, it got caught on one of my stem plants to begin with then just accumulated.

My best guess was just detritus build up, possibly something fungal. Didnt seem to be harmful to the fish, I ended up just chucking out the stem.

Try cleaning it out as much as you can, maybe even with a clean scrubbing brush, when you get around to tank maintenance, and take out the sponge and swish it in some old tank water during a water change. But I wouldn't be too worried, especially if you're doing a fishless cycle

Edit: just looked at the pic again, is it stringy and seems to be sticking there, or does it look like murky water flowing out of the filter then diffusing into the tank?

the white lump is purigen.
using poly filter, sponge (thats where the white stringy stuff are), and there is some seachem matrix under the purigen.
its stringy, just staying there.
not doing fishless cycle as i had no where to put my betta (after i had to xfer him out of another tank because of issues with other fish). however, i am doing daily water changes atm.

I'm not too sure why there is that gunk building up there if the mechanical filtration at the start (poly and sponge) is doing its job properly..

Rinse the sponge in old tank water next water change and you should be right, but keep an eye that it doesn't stretch to the tank and make a mess in there.

Are you talking about a frothy white foam in the filter housing? I had this happen in a snail tank when the ammonia went very high. It can also happen with fertilizer when too much is added.

Back
Top Bottom