Wood making water all icky-mucky yuck T.T

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Meiko

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just got the coolest chunk of wood for my new tank, but being as this is my first tank and I just thought it was a pretty chunk of wood and nothing else, I didn't expect the brown-ish tint. ^^; I started researching more about it, but still confused on the best method to fix the discoloration... (It may not look too bad but I have a l/f rosey barb and he's just not as shiny in the yellowish water, it really dulls his colors.)

Problem is when I bought the wood I didn't pay attention to what type of wood I was getting..so I'm not sure if it's possible to make it stop discoloring water. @.@;

What do most people do to fix this? ^^;

Keep doing smaller water changes to reduce the ammount of coloration in the water and also run carbon in the filter. Eventually, the piece of wood will stop leeching color into the water. It just might take a while...

WELCOME TO AA!!! :D

Check out the Articles section here and there is one about how to prepare driftwood for your tank.

What I do is simply soak it in a large tub and change the water with hot tap water every day until it no longer discolors the water, which can take many weeks or just 10 days or so, depending. Just make sure this wood is not an evergreen type, like pine or cedar, as they contain compounds or resins that you don't want in your tank.

You can also try boiling the wood--if it fits in a pot.

[center:1982ce3f37] :smilecolros: Welcome to AA, Meiko!! :n00b: [/center:1982ce3f37]

i'm too impatient >>; I guess I just need to wait until my tank is done cycling before i start worrying over wood <<; but it's REAAAAALLY pretty wood! ><!

ohhh and yays..my fish stoped hidding! he's been hidding ever since i took away his bros and took away the wood and left him with only one plant >>; I'm guessing the amonia lvls went down..*doesn't have a tester thingie* or maybe he guessed my evil plot to only feed him once a day cause he wasn't eating enough and is trying to prove he can eat more by swiming really fast <<; and..umm..*stops babbling* ^^;;

And i'm not a noob ><;; I'm a stalker! big difference! yeah..i stalk forums o.o; nono noob *nodnodnodnods* I could have been stalking for years you donno that ><;;;; but..umm..hihi everyone ^___^;

Back
Top Bottom