Worms and bugs in tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NiaCas

Aquarium Advice Activist
I recently started converting one of my tanks to dirt. I put in the dirt, then the sand, went through a 3 day water change routine, and then added plants a while ago and put a new tank light on. Now that the light's on, I can see small, very wriggly worms maybe 1/4 inch in size. There are also these little white dots in the tank that are definitely bugs of some kind. They're super tiny, but they actively try to avoid my tweezers when I try to poke at them, so I know they're alive. Aside from the way they look, these two creatures are also different in that the worms are moving toward the surface while the teeny bugs are moving toward the substrate which is BAD because they blend right in to the sand.

Does anyone have any idea what these things might be? I can guess that they were in the soil - I used miracel grow organic choice. But they could have also been on the plants maybe? Many of the plants are new.

I know that some little creatures tend to show up due to overfeeding, but I haven't added any fish to the tank yet, so there has been no food added at all since I before I broke down the tank and redid it.

I don't feel comfortable putting my fish back into a tank that could be infested with who knows what, and I'm not confident now that water changes will get rid of these things since the tiny white things travel down to the sand and disappear. Any advice will be super appreciated!

Sounds like you got some fish food in your tank already :)

They probably came in on the live plants but I really wouldn't worry about it. Likely just copepods and one of the thousands of types of worms we get in our tanks. Good munchies for fish.

phew! Do you think the tiny white dots are the same as those worms then? Just hatched or something?

Back
Top Bottom