Worried about new algae?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ana.

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have discovered a new algae growth in my tank on the underside of the glass windows that separate the lights from the tank. (Hope that makes sense)
It is slimy and green. (Pictures attached. First one is from the top through the glass. Second one is from the bottom)
I've got just a regular 30gallon freshwater tank. Not sure where the algae came from. I just want to know if it's going to be a problem?
If anyone can identify it that would be great!
Thanks!

Attachments

• 20171220_074630.jpg
    20171220_074630.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 35
  • 20171220_074625.jpg
    20171220_074625.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 39
It might be another green slime type of algae and not BGA.
The glass is constantly wet (probably from splashing) and being so close to the lighting makes it a perfect place for most types of algae to grow. I would periodically remove and clean the glass lid to keep this from building up.

Hello Ana...

Don't worry about a little algae. It's a sign you're keeping a healthy tank. Algae is a good, natural water filter and supplements your fishes' diet. Just don't feed the fish too much and change out most of the water weekly to maintain a steady water chemistry and your fish and plants will be fine. Keep tank simple and you'll be successful.

B

Back
Top Bottom