Your "Philosophie de Fish."

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

madasafish

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey,

I thought I'd create a thread along a more philosophical vein. Care to indulge me?

What is your fish-tank philosophy? When you think about your present tanks, or imagine a new tank, what role do these play in your life?

My tanks fulfill several roles in my life. Some, I like to think, are honorable; some are not. Here they are in descending order of importance. (Disclaimer: this philosophy is not a judgment of other philosophies, and I am not attempting to hoist my opinions upon you. No one has to have a philosophy, but it does make keeping fish more interesting and rewarding.)

1) My fish tanks should be as close to a natural environment as possible. No treasure chests, no fake rocks, no pink gravel and no SpongeBob figurines. I like to have rocks, wood, plants, and a natural-looking substrate. If I could redo my tanks, I would make them into biotopes, as these are the best approximations of natural habitats I know of. I'm not an idealist, though. I know that, just as there are no completely objective journalists, there is no completely natural environment in a tank with lights and a heater. Nonetheless, I think it is worth emulating a natural habitat, trying to make the fish most at ease, even if the goal is ultimately unacheivable in full.

2) I like my fish to be happy and feel relaxed. I don't stock aggressive species with non-aggressive species, and I don't own any fish that are even remotely too big for the space they are in. I refuse to buy any fish over 6 inches in length for my 55 Gallon, and if I wanted to buy larger fish, I would obligate myself to house them in a larger aquarium.

3) I like my fish to be cathartic. When I sit in front of my tanks, I want to feel deeply relaxed. Whenever I am having a difficult time motivating myself, I make sure to take a few minutes, or an hour, with my fish to encourage myself to work.

4) My tanks should be brilliant showpieces. I don't like having a tank which is in disarray, and I don't like having water which is cloudy. When my friends come over, I want the tank to inspire conversation about moral/ethical conflicts, environmental issues and anything else that springs to mind.

What about you?

I agree with most of the above but as well, I believe the tank is there to soothe me not stress me. In stress I mean in maintenance and costs.

I do not believe in fancy expensive equipment, chemicals and frankly I do not own a water testing kit. Apparently someone told me the best way to test your water is to have a cardinal tetra in it. I have 11 in mine. LOL

Also I do not understand how fishes from the same ecosystem ir same river should require different water parameters in a tank. Now I do believe it is important to have the right water parameters but I have it tested in the shop when I buy new fishes. Other than that I have a regular maintenance schedule which I cannot improve.

Please do not flame me but I do believe if it is broken, do not fix it but then, my aquarium is NOT a hobby, but simply “eye candy” for my family and cat and home. I also believe my fishes are happy as I rarely open the lid for anything other than cleaning and have not had a death in the tank in 2 months.

PS Kudo for starting this topic, Also my daughter loves it.

Please do not flame me but I do believe if it is broken, do not fix it

I'm guessing you meant if its not broken don't fix it?
Anyway for a couple of dollars you can get a seachem ammonia monitor that sticks to the inside of your tank (no chemicals to deal with). And the fact that you are coming to this site and have 60 posts pretty much puts this into the hobby catagory. With regular maint. your water can be fine. Good luck

I'm guessing you meant if its not broken don't fix it?

he he he, your right. LOL I should check before I post. As for the 60 posts, that reflects the time I spend in front of my computer other than the time I spend with my tank. Basically I should unplug more but since so many people advised me here, I help out too if I have something to say.

All i will say is that FISH are my life, i am in the best hobby in the world. I have been keeping fish for 25 yrs and in that time i have had my up's and down's, but i'm still here and still loving every second of it.
It does'nt matter if i'm at home or at work i have my fish. The best way to put it is I eat fish, I sleep fish, and i work fish., you can't ask for more than that.

My wife once said to me many years ago when i had 14 tanks at home, " It is either me or the fish" and my reply was " Do you need a hand packing"

Say no more

Thanks, LondonGMan. Kudos is always appreciated! Glad to see you've accumulated a fair amount already!!

Back
Top Bottom