Your Stupid Fish Story....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Do you know what kind of eels they are?

1 Bala shark - 5", 1 Red Tail shark - 4", 1 Rainbow shark - 3 1/2", 1 Albino Rainbow shark - 3", 1 Golden Dojo Loach - 8", 1 Dojo loach - 4", 2 Fire Eels - 9" each, 4 Chinese Algae Eaters - 1" each, 1 Bolivian Ram - 1", 6 Glowlight rasboras - 1" each. 55G/75G coming soon.

Here's a site with pics of the fire eel.

http://www.aquahobby.com/gallery/e_Mastacembelus_erythrotaenia.php

And depending on the type, you could have a handful with 4 of them. The fire eels get to 40" from what I read. Other places say 32" in captivity. Here's a site that shows the maximum lengths.

http://www.aquariumfish.net/catalog_pages/sharks_eels_loaches/eels_spiny.htm

1 Bala shark - 5", 1 Red Tail shark - 4", 1 Rainbow shark - 3 1/2", 1 Albino Rainbow shark - 3", 1 Golden Dojo Loach - 8", 1 Dojo loach - 4", 2 Fire Eels - 9" each, 4 Chinese Algae Eaters - 1" each, 1 Bolivian Ram - 1", 6 Glowlight rasboras - 1" each. 55G/75G coming soon.

When I got my fire eels, they were about 3 1/2-4", and now, 4 months later, they are 9". Just to give you an idea on their growth. Could be that mine eats lots too, and are happy with their hideout. They wouldn't eat much when the tank was cycling, thought I was going to lose them. But now that my tank has been cycled for a couple months now, they have been pigs, lol. I put in 2 frozen bloodworm cubes, and the eels are like vacuums. I tried 3 cubes last week, but was a bit much, don't like too much excess in the tank, will stick to just 2 for a while yet. I feed then every other day, that way maybe during the off day they will search for the red wigglers in the gravel.

when i bought my spiny eel the petshop owner told me i wouldnt eat for a couple of days.. i threw in a cube for the rest of the fish to eat during the day with all the lights on, and who do i see come out of his pvc pipe coated in gravel?? Spiny.. these eels are soo cool, i just wish i knew for a fact what he is.. he was sold to me as a spiny eel but online sources are soo contridicting...

Check this site and see if you find a picture if it. Scroll down to Other and you will find some eels in it. If it has large spots in the tail, it's the peacock spiney eel.

http://www.aquahobby.com/e_gallery.php

All this info just for an eel that got someones nose, hehehe. Eels are sooo coolllll. And for the one who just bought 4, I hope you understand what you are in for. I got 2 and it's becoming a handful, and as they grow bigger, more expensive to feed. But overall, good luck and I know you will definitely enjoy.

Actually - I meant that I bought 4 blue botias (orange finned loaches/red-tailed botias) :oops:

I would NEVER buy a fire eel. No way. They are beautiful and I am having a 375 custom tank built but, the whole thing is reserved for bichirs.

Cool.... Thanks for correcting me. Good luck with your custom tank....

they are american freshwater eels, native to the great lakes here's a link i have a couple pic's of my 90 i know iknow i need a new camera http://ca.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/luminousmoon14/album?.dir=48eb&.src=ph&store=&prodid=&.done=http%3a//ca.photos.yahoo.com/ph//my_photos

Cool looking eel......

Hope yours is not a female, lol. They say the female gets to 5 feet long, lol. And males to 1.5 feet. Here's your eel, it's an American eel.

http://www.glerl.noaa.gov/seagrant/GLWL/Fish/eel/eel.html

The American eel is a catadromous fish; it lives most of its life in freshwater and migrates to the ocean to spawn. When not migrating, female American eels live in medium to large streams and lakes with muddy bottoms and quiet waters (males raely swim far upstream of brackish areas). They are most active at night, during the day they are found hiding in the mud or under objects at the bottom of the lake or river. American eels are exclusively meat eaters. They feed on almost anything they encounter, live or dead, including fish, frogs, crayfish, insects, snails, earthworms and larval lampreys. American eel females grow larger than the males. Females recorded as big as 150 cm (5 ft) and 2.3-3.2 kg (5-7 lbs); males generally reaches a length of no more than 50 cm (1.5 ft).

yah they are , and i have a hard time finding sites with info on them, but i have found odd pages i've found on searches, i feed them mostly frozen blood worms and i have them hand trained , they'll come up and the grab and straight for a corner and twist twist , then they'll hang out on any thing they can 8O the only other time i've seen their kind is in an asian market to be sold as food 8O :( i've never went back to that store

One more interesting site on that eel....

http://www.chesapeakebay.net/info/american_eel.cfm

i think they are as they are 4 years old and have large eyes , 18 and 21 inches long yaaaaaahhh i hope they are NOT female

thanks alot!!!!! whodini has been happy with my 6 dollars and to pictuc cats in my 90gal i bought for him. sometimes they'll eat feeder gold fish but sometime they don't feel like an i end up with goldy's that i have to give back to the lfs
Zippy he's byhimself with gimpy (a goldy with 4 massive chomps chuncks takin out all along it's back) they i guess have a mutual friendship
i hope that they don't get any bigger!!

well here is mine LOL
we got two clown loach..........i got them a new big tank about a month ago went through the process.

i FORGOT to turn the heater on. we come home i go upstairs to change and i hear " OH GREAT THESE FISH ARE DEAD!"

i scream what! he had put them in the COLD tank water. he says ok well we only lost one :roll: so i grab the "dead" fish but him in some warm treated water and just gently move him back and forth........finally he wakes up. he hangs out in my hand for a little while and then eventually darts off into the "stump" and is ok. he is great and thriving BUT i have decieded hubby is not allowed to mess with fishies anymore :roll:

The eels that were in the Asian market.. are you sure you don't have weather loaches? they look like eels adn grow like eels and act like eels.

My first aquriuam over then years ago I had a small dwinky 10 gallon with around 15 guppies *yeah, sue me* It went along pretty well for awhile. I woke up in the middle of the night to here my power filter making this "grinding" sound for a few seconds and then quiet back down. "Hmmm musta been airbubbles" I went back to sleep.

I woke up next morning and found that my power filter strainer had fallen off into the bottom of the tank. I also noticed some shiny things floating around the tank. Huh???

Yanked the power to everything, opened up the power filter and found one of my guppies ground to a pulp in the impellor chamber. Ouch......... :oops:

Back
Top Bottom