Betta fish top fin missing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquarium Advice Regular
My betta's top fin is missing and I need help with finding a treatment because I don't want him to get an infection or get hurt worse.
For a bit of context, I went camping this weekend but couldn't find anyone to watch him so i gave him a bit of extra food before we left because i figured it would be fine. He only missed 2 feedings though, so not much. When i came back, he didn't come up for food right away when i opened the lid which is unusual, and then i saw that his fin was ripped. I don't know what could have caused it. I have a clown pleco in the tank with him but i doubt that they fought or anything because it's never happened before. I also have two plastic plants but they are soft and i dont think it caused it, but its possible I guess. If anyone has any ideas of what else might of caused it, please let me know so i can make any necessary adjustments.
I measured all the water paramaters if anyone wants to know those: ph is 7.4, ammonia and nitrite are at 0, and nitrates are at 5, so they are all good.
If anyone has any ideas for treatment and what could have caused it, please let me know. Thank you.

My betta's top fin is missing and I need help with finding a treatment because I don't want him to get an infection or get hurt worse.

For a bit of context, I went camping this weekend but couldn't find anyone to watch him so i gave him a bit of extra food before we left because i figured it would be fine. He only missed 2 feedings though, so not much. When i came back, he didn't come up for food right away when i opened the lid which is unusual, and then i saw that his fin was ripped. I don't know what could have caused it. I have a clown pleco in the tank with him but i doubt that they fought or anything because it's never happened before. I also have two plastic plants but they are soft and i dont think it caused it, but its possible I guess. If anyone has any ideas of what else might of caused it, please let me know so i can make any necessary adjustments.

I measured all the water paramaters if anyone wants to know those: ph is 7.4, ammonia and nitrite are at 0, and nitrates are at 5, so they are all good.

If anyone has any ideas for treatment and what could have caused it, please let me know. Thank you.
Hello, if you could get a good pic we might be able to assess damage to Betta. For now you could use aquarium salt. This may help to keep fungus, infection or fin rot from setting in. If you have any api melafix it can be used instead (tea tree oil is a natural antiseptic)or in tandem w/salt.
I would dose 1level teaspoon per gallon volume of fish tank. This is a 3rd of the normal dose because plecos are scaleless fish(salt sensitive). This might be all that is needed depending on severity of damage.
Just a heads up plecos can become aggressive over territory & food. If betta tried to get in it's space or take food from it a pleco will defend what's his. Hope this helps you!!!!!

Thank you so much! I will try to attach a picture of him.
IMG_4687.jpg

You should be able to see the pictures now.

Attachments

• Betta photo .jpg
    Betta photo .jpg
    234.6 KB · Views: 18
  • Betta photo 2.jpg
    Betta photo 2.jpg
    246.7 KB · Views: 16
You should be able to see the pictures now.
K, it looks to have a slight case of fin rot too(edges of fins curling) so what I would do is the aquarium salt & I would also do a 25% water change every 2-3days replacing any salt taken out. You want to keep water as pristine as possible. You should see it stop & then improvement within 4-5days. Keep a close watch that it doesn't worsen if it does then meds should be needed.

Ok, I will do that. Thank you so much for all your help! I appreciate it!

Back
Top Bottom