Low light beginner plants wanted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fluffyntex

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 55 gallon tank with guppies,mollies and platys in it and would love to get rid of the plastic plants and plant some live ones. If anyone has any please let me know. Thanks!
:D

Look at the bright shiny thing over the top of the tank :) (sorry, I couldn't help myself). Is it one bulb or more? If you turn off the bulb(s), it might have some info printed on it. You're looking for wattage and a "K" rating.

There are two lights, one on each side. They are fluorescent . Both of them are Penn Plex 15 w
I can't buy anything better, just don't have the funds. I am a disabled single parent. Is that enough light for some of the low light beginner plants? If not I can just stick with plastic, just sure wanted to get live ones if possible.

Last edited:
That is extremely low light. You could try Anubias, Java Moss, and Java Fern. They may survive, but they definately won't thrive and will grow very slowly.

ok I got 2 more 15 w lights just like what was on there so the lighting is now double what I had. If anyone has some plants to thin out I would love to get a few. I love Hornwort and Duckweed, I had those when I had my other tank years ago and it did well. Let me know if anyone has anything that might work in that amount of light to offer. Thanks!

Is that still not enough light?

Oh and all I have to offer as trade are about ten 2 to 3 inch rust colored Lava Rocks.

Last edited:
1WPG is probably about where you're at now. This still qualifies as low light, but there are plants you can probably be successful with at this level. Unfortunately, I don't have any to offer you, but hopefully someone with low-light plants will come along shortly.

Back
Top Bottom