Anubias & crs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Snmurray

Aquarium Advice Regular
Should there be any issues with a planed anubias & crs? Put plant into tank after washing it & shrimp went mad for a while. Now all huddled at opposite end of tank. Water parameters checked this morning. All fine.
Help?

Rinsed in normal tap water. Just rechecked parameters, everything ok. Bizarre. All shrimp accounted for but all.huddled in far corner.

Depending on the grade Crystal Reds can be very sensitive to any changes and if you rinsed the plant in tap water it could have introduced small amounts of chlorine into the tank.

Should there be any issues with a planed anubias & crs? Put plant into tank after washing it & shrimp went mad for a while. Now all huddled at opposite end of tank. Water parameters checked this morning. All fine.
Help?

They probably got spooked, a new object just pops up ... now if after a few days they're still huddled in that corner, then it may be time to remove that Anubias ... although you shouldn't have to.

Since you rinsed with Tap ... perhaps trace amounts of chlorine, chloramines may have irritated them? CRS are more sensitive than say RCS. With new plants I dip them in H. Peroxide to kill off any microbes etc, then I rinse with Tank water before introducing into the tank.

Fairly new to this. First time introducing a new plant. Have done 20% water change with treated water, just to rule out any chlorine issues. Will leave alone now & hopefully they will settle.
Thanks for the help guys

What grade Crystals are you working with? I don't have any issues with my S+ but I hear SS and above are pretty sensitive. I would only change about 10% of the water at time to combat any drastic temperature of ph swings.

I have rearranged my shrimp tanks quite a bit and have never had them react adversely. They actually go right over to the new object and climb all over it to see of there's anything to eat.

Cherry red shrimp. Five. Had them about four weeks with not problems until introduced the anubias this afternoon. Initially they went crazy charging around the tank then after half hour all congregated in bottom corner of tank & haven't moved for about 3 hours?
Have 7 neons & 6 guppies which dont seem to be bothered by it

Snmurray said:
Cherry red shrimp. Five. Had them about four weeks with not problems until introduced the anubias this afternoon. Initially they went crazy charging around the tank then after half hour all congregated in bottom corner of tank & haven't moved for about 3 hours?
Have 7 neons & 6 guppies which dont seem to be bothered by it

Ok that's why I was confused because you said CRS ( Crystal red shrimp) initially not RCS ( Red cherry shrimp). Cherries are pretty hardy and normally aren bothered by much, the fact that they are huddling is not a good sign. The only time I see shrimp together is when I drop a pellet in the tank otherwise they are all off on their own.

How large of a tank is it?

Also they could have been reacting to something that was on your hands, I try my hardest to keep my hands out of my shrimp tanks.

Sadly have had to remove the anubias as prawns never settled with it. They seem fine now but am unsure of the implications re replacing plastic plants?
Could there be any reason for this as I want to replace the plants as is better for the tank

If you got the plant from a pet store chances are they may have been using a copper based chemical in the tank to treat for snails, algae, ect. which is very bad for the shrimp. Even though you rinsed its quite possible that the chemicals were leeching out.

I have gotten all my plants from aquarium club members that I know to keep clean tanks and have never had the shrimp act adversely to them. I would see of you can find some local hobbyists and buy plants from them, just tell them it's for a shrimp tank and they'll hook you up.

Just a couple of ideas...

Hate to waste a good plant!

You can probably find some one local to give it too.

You can put it onto a vase of tank water in a warm area and keep it and just keep changing out the water maybe even over a number of months and perhaps try introducing it again.

Just change the water when you do a water change, the old tank water has nutrients for the plant and the plant will be ready to go into the tank if you so decide.

You can also add plant cuttings in the vase and end up with a nice display. My favorite is the Syngonium Podophyllum, there are many different leaf colorations and shapes to choose from. I use plants from a nursery rinse off all soil let soak off excess soil for a number of days then add to the vase. you can use chop sticks or a plastic saucer with a hole cut out for the plant to sit in. Root in water, plant above!

Back
Top Bottom