Apple snail breeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishlover3578

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I got a black a blue and I have a white apple snail I'm hopping they will breed I know they will cross breed colors from research... Do I need a cover over my filter intake so babies don't get sucked in ?

Lol my white snail like twice or more size of other two... If I hold it in my hand it crawls on me. All three snails are in 20 gal with a few guppy fry and 7guppy males 4 which are endler guppy and 3 fancy

Are they mating? I literally just put them in tank like 30 min ago

image-3492887501.jpg they are labeled as mystery snail so maybe they are mystery snails

Looks like mating. They can do it whenever they care to. Babies are not likely to be sucked up but adults can sometimes get their foot stuck in the 'bars' on the bottom of some intake tubes. So best to cover them with something to prevent that. They'll drown if they can't get to the surface to breathe when they need to.

Eggs are laid above water, btw. So provide some space for that, 2 or 3 inches of bare glass is needed, or an enclosed hood, they'll lay on the underside of it.

What colours you may get depend on the genetics of each snail. And if you have a female. You need both sexes.. but it does look as if you have at least one female :).

Well white one crawled on my black and the blue . How Long until they lay eggs? I already lowered water level. I think they are mystery snails not apple ( I love how if I hold them I water they come out and crawl on me )

Apple snail is a common name for a few types of snail, including mystery snails. How long it takes to see eggs depends on the snails. Some may lay soon after breeding, some may not lay 'til next year. It's all up to them. Some lay often, some lay infrequently. No way to tell until you've had them awhile.

I got my mystery snails months ago, they were breeding (looked like it anyway :) ) from day 1, but never laid eggs until a few weeks ago. Then they laid 4 clutches within a week. Now 2 of those clutches have hatched and I have little baby snails all over the place. They are precious. So I'm just basically echoing what others have said. They might lay eggs next week, or it might be months from now.

Boy oh boy, it must be the season? I found a clutch last night and found 2 more snails breeding last night. I too have Mystery snails, 2 blue and 1 gold, but Im guessing they really are Apples? Anyways Good luck to you, Not really wanting this many snails....

Back
Top Bottom