Baby snail id

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
1st tank

2nd tank

Definitely not mystery babies on top 3 pics! I have tiny ones in one of my tanks and their shape is very different mine also have a little shimmering shine to them (like mother-of-pearl kinda thing) the bottom pic I can't really tell but if all those dots are snails.... I feel for you:)

Recently been learning about Spixi snails and was told by two different people who keep them they will eat pond snails and their egg sacks like crazy. Not Mystery snails though.

Can't see the (in last pic) baby snails in the side tank/glass pic, but that is what the tank looked like when my Mystery snails hatched. Hope they are mystery snails.

For sure lower feeding, and up cleaning the substrate. But for now I would let the little guys eat/clean up, as they need their energy to grow up if they are mystery snails.

I love my snails, but also am not over ridden with pond snails either. Congrats if they are indeed Mystery snails. Many times the lfs will trade them in for you.

It is a 75 gallon. If I did all of that and got some assassins? How many for a 75gallon?

It doesn't matter how many you get. The number just depends in how fast you want to get rid of the pond snails. The more the faster ( of course lol ). I think 5-8 will do and will get rid of a lot of snails ( more than %50 ) in less than 1-2 weeks.

It is a 75 gallon. If I did all of that and got some assassins? How many for a 75gallon?

You could prob do around 5-10. They work steadily but don't expect your tank to be empty overnight. The important thing is reducing the feeding and the DIY traps. I'd rinse and repeat the traps for several days until there are noticeably fewer, and then the assassin snails will help control the rest. When there are a bunch on the glass like that just get your net and scrap 'em off and dispose.

There are fish that you could get like loaches and such but it's best to just hit the root of the problem instead. Definitely do not get any clown loaches unless you plan to upgrade your tank later.

Good luck and let us know how it all turns out! :)

You could prob do around 5-10. They work steadily but don't expect your tank to be empty overnight. The important thing is reducing the feeding and the DIY traps. I'd rinse and repeat the traps for several days until there are noticeably fewer, and then the assassin snails will help control the rest. When there are a bunch on the glass like that just get your net and scrap 'em off and dispose.

There are fish that you could get like loaches and such but it's best to just hit the root of the problem instead. Definitely do not get any clown loaches unless you plan to upgrade your tank later.

Good luck and let us know how it all turns out! :)

Yeah, don't get clowns as they wil grow quite big when adult and will need at least a 75 gal. +1 for using a net/hand to get all those snails off the glass then getting assassins.

Back
Top Bottom