Baby Snail laying eggs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Osomini

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Can little baby snails lay eggs, I thought they were attacking each other this morning, but when I got home from work I found these eggs all over the breeder box I have the fry in.

I didn't want to let the lttle snails loose in the tank for fear of the snails breeding.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130815_194925.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130815_194925.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 134
  • ForumRunner_20130815_194942.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130815_194942.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 100
  • ForumRunner_20130815_194957.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130815_194957.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 100
Yup you have snail eggs, from what I understand snails can lay eggs from a fairly early age, some also dont need a male to reproduce. Are they pest snails or are they what you bought?

I found these on the some of the Indian Almond Leaves I picked up from the LFS.

So I would say pest snails.

I believe these are pond snails, my next question is should I kill them off or let them run around in my tank?

They are pond snails, they stay VERY small, about the size of a pencil eraser, maybe a bit larger so that's probably why you think it's a baby.

But, like ramshorns these guys can pretty much start laying eggs even before they are noticeable to the naked eye

It's upto you for personal preference. I have pond snails in a few of my tanks but I don't mind them. They do a good job at keeping my goldfish tank very clean :)

It's there a more humane way of disposing the eggs and snails?

I mean other then just killing them with fire!

There's really only 2 choices.

Kill them yourself, or buy something that'll kill them for you like assassin snails, botia loaches, or puffers.

I'm at my limit of fish for the tank, so I'll have to merc them tonight!

Will Assassin Snails take out my Gold Inca Snail?

I'm not too sure I don't have any snails I want to keep with my assassins. I've heard of people keeping ramshorns with them but apparently they have been known to gang up to take down Goliath.

Maybe someone else can shed some light on it?

Yes, assassin snails prey on all snail species, themselves included. They reproduce slowly, and once they eat all the snails, you often end up with only one or two left.

And why would you need fire to kill snail eggs ? Just scrape them off and toss them out, they dry out quickly. Live snails, well, you can crush them, and some carnivorous fish will eat the meat without the shell and some don't.

The eggs you picture are from ramshorns, not the little bladder snails. Bladder snails lay an irregular blob, ramshorns lay that neat little crescent of eggs. Many call bladder snails pond snails, and you do find them in ponds, but the pond snail itself is a larger species and not that common in tanks.

Bladder snails are super common and reproduce quite quickly, laying eggs on anything at all, from a young age. They and the ramshorns are hermaphrodites, so don't need a mate, but they prefer to mate if they can, it enhances their genetic pool.

Mystery snails, aka Inca snail, are male/female and lay eggs out of the water, in a big pinky beige line about a half inch thick. They take weeks to hatch, and if you don't want them, just toss the egg case, it will dry out too. If these snails are trying to spawn they can climb out and fall off, which is fatal if you don't find them soon.

Females can lay many batches of eggs from one mating, so even if you only have one, if it's female it may lay eggs the first year, if it has mated before you got it. There is a giant ramshorn that is related to the mystery snail, really quite neat, and even more inclined to climb out of the tank and fall off.

Some loaches and puffers eat snails as a regular diet. The loaches are sometimes kept to control snails.

Don't use meds to kill snails, it will kill all inverts. Don't overfeed, and hand pick any you see and that keeps numbers down. It's kind of a personal thing if you want them or not, but they do a fine job of cleaning up leftovers,dead plants, algae and cleaning glass too. I like having some of them around, but prefer ramshorns to the bladder snails, especially the red and blue coloured ramshorns.

Thanks for all the info Fishfur.

I did take them out without any issues.

Back
Top Bottom