Calcium for my Gold Inca Snail

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CaptainShams

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey, so it looks like my little guy's shell is showing some light signs of deterioration. A few questions about calcium and gold inca/mystery snail...

I'm feeding him spinach and arugala (both high in calcium). Will this translate to his shell or does it have to be in the water?

And to put calcium in the water can I use calcium pill powder or crushed egg shell in the filter? I read I can use cuttle bone or crushed coral, but I'm wondering if there household items would work the same??

I've read that the oxalates in spinach, parsley, and rhubarb can inhibit calcium uptake, though they can be fed occasionally.

What is your pH? Cuttle bone is pretty cheap and definitely safe (buy in the bird section -- but get the plain/natural -- not flavored)

PH about 6.8-70 I'd guess based on this test. Oh interesting. I'll take the spinach out then!

Also I have this other URGENT issue that keeps saying it's waiting for moderator approval:

Hey, I tried to post this on a new thread but it had to be approved and this is URGENT! Maybe if I remove the image...

I have three little 24k white clouds like this guy and a snail in a tank (no other fish)...

The only one I named was Shakey, because he was smaller than the other two significantly and seemed to have a more nervous demeanor. I woke up this morning and Shakey was dead! :'( Before he died he was swimming very slowly and lethargically floating around. Now one of the white clouds is acting super aggressive, attacking the other. I suspect that the aggressive one murdered him!! He was just attacking the other, but ow he stopped and they are just floating next to each other...

Is this about mating or somehting?? What should I do. The temp is 76-78. I put an ice cube or 2 once a day. we just got a nubias plant and some seeds. Feed them like 3-4 flakes a day...

He keeps attacking her! HELP!:confused:

For your snail the pH should be 7 or above. Shells will erode in acidic water. You can feed spinach for an occasional treat. Just don't make it a steady diet.

I recommend the "Wonder Shell". Specifically the non-medicated ones sold only here: Wonder Shell Aquarium Mineral Blocks | Disease Preventative

The next post will probably be someone saying these are terrible, but I have no reason not to trust someone who has 30+ years of experience in the aquarium business and is always testing and updating their research. Ever since I started using them in my tank, my snails' shells are growing beautifully, and they are casting off the ugly white crusty tips that they used to have. Plus they benefit redox and osmoregulation in your tank by slowly releasing a steady supply of Calcium cations and other minerals.

Back
Top Bottom