Cherry Shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SDfishy

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am setting up a 5 gallon tank with a small amount of anacharis, a marimo moss ball and some various hiding spots for 20 red cherry shrimp. I have algae wafers, pellet food and regular fish flakes from my other fish. What I am wondering is how often I should feed my shrimp since it will be a shrimp only tank. :thanks:

You don't need to feed them too often. Try small amounts daily and see where that gets you. If its too little food, increase the meal size accordingly

Would you suggest using all three types of food to keep a varied diet?

The shrimp that are in my community tank are not specifically fed, they take what's left. They will eat almost anything but I do think that they benefit from a varied diet.
In my shrimp only tank I feed them when all of them are feeding off the moss i.e. there is no food left lying around. The community tank has 4 different types of food due to the differing types of fish but the shrimp eat everything, algae wafers being their favourite. Therefore I have a few days a week when I don't feed algae wafers which forces them to have a more varied diet.
Shrimp are easy to over feed because they feed 24/7, unlike fish which eat the food within 3-5 minutes, so there is often food lying in the tank. This can turn the tank quite quickly if food is lying around for longer than a day.
Hope that's of some help.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom