Clams

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dbigfish

Aquarium Advice Activist
So there are freshwater clams living in the small 100ish gallon pond in my backyard I didn't put them there and I didn't even know they were there until I found one today. My question is how do they fare in aquariums with sand substrate. Are they as invasive as snails? Do they do anything beneficial for a tank by filtering the water?

I was interested in them when I was deciding what to stock my tank with, and I posted a similar question. Somebody brought up that they will bury themselves in the substrate and if they die, then you won't know about it and it will foul the water. I decided against getting any.

I was interested in them when I was deciding what to stock my tank with, and I posted a similar question. Somebody brought up that they will bury themselves in the substrate and if they die, then you won't know about it and it will foul the water. I decided against getting any.

I have one in my tank and it really doesn't move around a lot unless a fish moves it. Clams should rather be put into the media section of a filter as they eat waste and excess nutrients. They are great water cleaners.

Alright and these are like baby fingernail size clams so they can just live in my filter?

Aqueon quite flow 29 and a 10 in a 20 long tank

Back
Top Bottom