Compatibility question?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KeeshyRee

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm pretty new to fw shrimp! I have a few ghosts I've kept in my 5 gal with adf frogs but if like to add some color. I'm assuming all shrimp like fish are not compatible so help me out here :). I love the bright colors yellow green and blue velvet can these work together pro's and con's of each the works! Also I'm on a small budget and have even smaller local options. Any good places that ship right and are cheap?

Sent from my SCH-R760X using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Anyone??

The only thing is that ghost shrimp have been known to get aggressive towards the dwarf shrimp such as cherrys and the yellows and blue velvets...if they don't go after the adult ones they will most likely eat some of the smaller ones

Oh sorry I'm planning on putting the ghosts in my 14 gallon with my neons. I was

Making sure that the other 3 were ok together. Thank you! Now I'll make sure bit to put them with the ghosts though

Oh well the colorful one will interbreed and could potentially lead back to their natural drab colors

If you are talking about mixing up the various colours of Neocaridina.. cherry shrimp are one of these.. then the earlier post is correct, they usually produce babies that have reverted to the brown or colourless wild form. So you can't keep red, yellow or blue one in the same tank.

But you can get other coloured shrimp to keep together and get the colour contrast. Babaulti shrimps come in green, oranges, reddish brick colour and probably some other colours, have live young, and cannot cross with any Neo shrimps. Same basic size as Neos, have a longer nose.

Sunkist shrimp are bright orange, and while they don't have live babies, they are compatible with Neos and Babaultis, and make a nice colour contrast. They require brackish water for their larvae to hatch. Slightly larger than cherries, but not much. Totally unable to cross with any of the other shrimps mentioned.

Edit. Ghost shrimp can be kept with the dwarf shrimps.. but they will eat some of the babies. They don't appear to actively hunt them, but if they find one, they'll eat it, when they are very young. Once they get to about quarter inch size, the Ghosts seem to leave them be. I kept Snowballs in with Ghosts and some Blue Claw Whisker shrimps, in a well planted 29G tank. I had loads of baby Snowballs that grew up just fine. I am sure I lost some of them, but plenty of them survived.

Wow now that's the information I was trying to get! Names colors compatibility! Thank you!

Where do you get yours from?

I've been very fortunate.. I have two shrimp only stores I can get to. Shrimpfever and F& K Aquatic Design. Shrimpfever ships, but I am not sure if he ships to the US. He has a website, so you can find out easily enough.

And there is nice size hobby with shrimp in the GTA area where I live, so I'm lucky that way too. Even the local specialty chain store sometimes has really nice shrimps.

I saw a guy with like over 20 red cherry shrimp and like two or three ghost shrimp. He said that the ghost shrimp only goes after the baby shrimp to help control the population, but that's just from his experience so I can't promise the same with your ghost shrimp. I guess it depends on the size of ghost shrimp you have...

Back
Top Bottom