Fiddlers eating fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KatieNicole

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I have about 7 fiddler crabs in my 20 gallon tank. I put 2 feeder fish with them. Well I looked in and one female was eating the fish! I expected this to happen naturally so I wasn't totally shocked. It was actually pretty cool to watch.

My question is this though, do the fiddlers get any nutrients or anything from eating fish? I had some ghost shrimp in there before but they never really bothered them.

If the fish would be good for them I will keep getting little feeders for them.

By feeders, do you mean rosy reds or small comet goldfish? If so, I was told that those fish don't really provide much nutrition; better to use feeder guppies. In relation to oscars and other large piscavores, anyway.
I have a couple female fiddler crabs in my molly tank. Never bothered fish, not even fry. I figured the female crab's claws were too small to catch fish. Do you have male fiddlers?

By feeders, do you mean rosy reds or small comet goldfish? If so, I was told that those fish don't really provide much nutrition; better to use feeder guppies. In relation to oscars and other large piscavores, anyway.
I have a couple female fiddler crabs in my molly tank. Never bothered fish, not even fry. I figured the female crab's claws were too small to catch fish. Do you have male fiddlers?

Rosey reds, and I actually have 3 male and and 4 female. But the one who caught it was a male whose lost his big claw!

Well, whether they have any nutritional value or not, my theory is: if your fish (crabs) enjoy the treat, let them have it; so long as it isn't detrimental. To my knowledge (knowing next to nothing about crabs), rosy reds are perfectly safe treats.

Back
Top Bottom