Fish cooperation - Tetras/ghost shrimp?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

V p1839

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm thinking about getting new fish. Well more of planning for when My goldie is gone. I want to get ghost shrimp and was wondering if tetras will eat them? Or would it be better to get mollies or guppies or is there something better for a 12g?

More info would help....What is in the 12 gal now? You mentioned a goldie and tetras (both are not compatible, goldies are coldwater and tetras are tropical, also a goldie needs at least a 20 gal tank just for itself).

Currently in is just the goldfish and 2 ottos. I was thinking ghost shrimp and tetras next.

Ghost Shrimp do ok with small peaceful Tetras. Some Tetras are semi aggessive and get a bit too large for GS. You may also want to look at Amano Shrimp. They get bigger and are great at grooming plants and eat soft algae. Neons should be fine. I would avoid Mollies, they can be bullies in smaller tanks.

There are many small fish now that won't outgrow the tank. Small Rasboras, Glolight Danios, Ember Tetras, etc.... A nice school of Tetras, some live plants some happy shrimp and you'll be set.

I hope your Goldfish is getting a big tank or pond ?

Currently in is just the goldfish and 2 ottos. I was thinking ghost shrimp and tetras next.

No can do in this 12 gallon. You are grossly overstocked just by virtue of having the goldfish in there. They require 20 gallons for the first, and an additional 10 for every one thereafter.

To answer your initial question, I have no issues with my tetras and the 3 species of shrimp I keep in that community tank.

Ahem...... in case the OP should consider another goldfish, the OP now has the information necessary to correctly house it.

LyndaB said:
Ahem...... in case the OP should consider another goldfish, the OP now has the information necessary to correctly house it.

Yes, but that's the third post to say move the GF.
:)

We all want the GF in a larger tank or pond. I hope the OP got that feeling already. Just pointing out the wording of first post.

I know the GF needs to be moved. I just don't have the means to move him. I already rehoused my koi. I was a rookie making mistakes. The GF is very active and healthy. I am happy about that. I am looking for alternative housing for him, but haven't found that yet.

We all just want what's best! Everybody here is good spirited.

I'd say do a few small shoalers! Ember tetras with white cloud minnows or some micro rasboras would look sweet in respective shoals.

They'd also leave the ghost shrimp alone for sure. Babies? Forget it though. Lol

Back
Top Bottom