ghost shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

freshwaterashley

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Will guppies, mollies, platys try to eat ghost shrimp? And will the ghost shrimp try to eat my fry?

I've kept guppies and mollies with ghost shrimp and they didn't eat the shrimp. I've never kept shrimp with fry so i don't have any personal experience but i have read that ghost shrimp will eat fry.

Oh no! I have one of the smaller ghost shrimp in with the fry so i didnt think it would be a problem i gotta go get him outta there i guess. I just figured he could help with the maintanence so i dont have to stress them out by scooping the waste

Like i said i don't personally have any experience with it but if the fry are bigger than the ghost shrimps mouth then i would think it would be alright

With or without shrimp you're gonna have to clean the waste out. But i believe i saw in another post that you have your fry with adult fish, I'd probably be more worried about them eating the fry.

No i dont have my Fry in with the adult fish they are in their own separate beta tank

What i was saying in that post was i was wondering if i could put another pregnant female in with the fry or if she will eat them. But i recently bought a separater so thats not an issue anymore.

In your post about a guppy in distress you said you had a 10 gallon with mollies guppies and platys and 8 fry, but since the fry are in a separate tank if you haven't already i would move the ghost shrimp out of the fry tank and into the other one just in case

Do ghost shrimp lay eggs? Or are they also livebearers? And how will i know when she is ready to pop?

I actually bought one that is pregnant... pretty interesting looking.. i just hope my fish wont eat her eggs. She is the last ghost shrimp left.. i need more to help with the cleaning.

So how long is the gestation period of a ghost shrimp and after the eggs are laid how long til they hatch? Is there any way to speed up the process?

Raising ghost shrimp is very hard in a freshwater tank it needs to be done in brackish water since the larva need nutrients to feed on which is insufficient in freshwater.

Back
Top Bottom