Ghost Shrimp /NOT Ghost Shrimp?!?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Autumnsky

Site Team
So the Ghost shrimp which were purchased /feeder shrimp, long while back to test my tank to make sure it wasn't a death trap for Dwarf shrimp lived.

Then not having anywhere else to put them (without them being a Clown Loach snack), they got put into the wine glass tank.

Then they had babies. So back around August 2018 a few months later and there were a bunch of them.

Word is that Ghost shrimp Palaemonetes sp. are unable to produce babies which survive because the larval stave requires brackish water for the larval shrimp to develop and as they grow they can live in freshwater.

As numerous people have claimed their ghost shrimp do indeed breed.

So to clear up some things, there are, I read somewhere, thousands of shrimp varieties without much color and are captured and sold for feeder shrimp in the aquarium trade.

One of the Saltwater types of Ghost or feeder shrimp is Litopenaeus sp

These shrimp are pretty much clear, and in the tank they are pretty good at hiding out. I see slight movements all the time when I feed the fish. Ghost is a good name for them. I know they are there but hard to see. Not having ideal eyesight, getting out a magnifying glass is a requirement.

Now March 2019

Here are a couple pics not the long arms here on a grown shrimp
60074-albums14728-picture72016.jpg

long legs are dangling down to the plant leaf below him
60074-albums14728-picture72014.jpg

Shrimp noming a Crab food pellet
60074-albums14728-picture72015.jpg

A not full grown shrimp half longer legs
60074-albums14728-picture72013.jpg

60074-albums14728-picture71801.jpg

These might be some sort of Whisker Shrimp, the nicer variety it seems, very small pinchers. :flowers:

:thanks: for listening! lol

Back
Top Bottom