Good Shrimp for a Community Tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DreaminginBlue

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a 26 gallon planted tank, which currently houses three panda corydoras (soon to be six) and a male platy. I intend to put more platies in it (probably only two more for now), as well as more cories, but wondered if there was any sort of shrimp I could have in there, top? I considered RCS or ghost shrimp, but I worry about the fish and shrimp bothering each other. There are lots of caves and places to hide, if this helps at all... I just don't want stressed shrimp that hide all the time.
I am completely okay with not being able to get shrimp; I know this is a possibility, as I've been researching a lot. However, I keep getting different answers, ranging from yes to no to maybe, with each person suggesting a certain type of shrimp... so I figured I'd consult you invert experts. :)

I suggest Amano shrimp they are very cool. I have ghost shrimp with platies and a gourami. So It should work out.

If you're concerned about your fish bothering them, the amano shrimp get about twice the size of the red cherry shrimp, around 2-3" vs 1-1.25". If you start off with enough young adult RCS (8-20, I started off with a dozen, 8 females and 4 males, and jumped to 100+ after the first spawn), they will probably breed quickly enough to sustain a small colony. The shrimplets are pretty quick and at least a few from each spawn should outsmart your fish!

Shrimp and fish generally get along just fine without issue. As long as you don't have fish that are notorious for eating shrimp, then you'll be alright. You also mention having lots of hiding spots and this will help diffuse problems (assuming there are going to be any). Enjoy choosing your shrimp, their fun and colorful little creatures to have scurrying around your tank!

Thank you all for the advice! I think I might start off with some RCS, as I love them, but I worry about losing them... should I just try cheap ghost shrimp instead?

Back
Top Bottom