Leaves & their biofilm

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NatureFish

Aquarium Advice Addict
So we all know that indian almond leaves can quickly generate biofilm but is that true for all leaves? I don't think so, but I have heard that oak leaves work! Has anyone ever tried using oak leaves? What about other leaves besides oak & IAL? Why buy IAL when there are so many other leaves that may (or may not) work? I have no idea if google is correct on this so....a little help please.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Watching my shrimps eating behaviour I assume bio-film develops on ALL surfaces. The only place my shrimp don't stay on is the clean front glass. I think this is why shrimp acclimatise better in a 'mature' tank.

I heard that the biofilm develops faster on leaves for some reason.

So we all know that indian almond leaves can quickly generate biofilm but is that true for all leaves? I don't think so, but I have heard that oak leaves work! Has anyone ever tried using oak leaves? What about other leaves besides oak & IAL? Why buy IAL when there are so many other leaves that may (or may not) work? I have no idea if google is correct on this so....a little help please.

Do we?? I'd tend to disagree here. They break down far to quickly to develop biofilm better than any living plant in the tank, fake even. It's on the glass, decorations... everywhere really..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Do we?? I'd tend to disagree here. They break down far to quickly to develop biofilm better than any living plant in the tank, fake even. It's on the glass, decorations... everywhere really..

Maybe so. I definitely think it should be investigated better.

I use them regularly, trust me, they are a pile of mush in a week.

I use them regularly, trust me, they are a pile of mush in a week.

Oh...that's not good. Does it cause parameter spikes at that point?

Oh...that's not good. Does it cause parameter spikes at that point?

I don't think so.. havnt checked though, it's a 20l with 2 apistos and it's planted so..

I was about to order them! I'd like to know this, too!

Keeping my sleeves wet...
Sent via Carrier Goldfish

For what purpose?

Brook - just because they are supposed to be so good for most FW fish, with the exception of guppies for some reason (damages gills?).

My tank has Longfin Gold Danios now and will eventually have Julli Corydoras, rummy-nose tetras, and an Opaline Guarami. At least that's the plan. I wouldn't use too many at a time, just enough to begin to change the tank's water color - although that's not a goal. Then I'd watch and see. It would be a gradual addition.

Open to advice, of course. New to the idea.

The best price I have seen is on aqmagic.com: They sell 20 leaves for $5.95. 200 leaves for $39.95. I like their site, prices, and selection. I have never ordered plants or leaves online so I have no idea of quality.

They are said to to stuff and things.. same as adding salt.. blah blah snake oil.. i cannot comment to anything other than the fact they..
-stain the water (apistos like it)
-sustain micro bugs (apisto fry eat it)
-make a mess and clog filters ( i don't like it but hey.. apistos are happy)

The best price I have seen is on aqmagic.com: They sell 20 leaves for $5.95. 200 leaves for $39.95. I like their site, prices, and selection. I have never ordered plants or leaves online so I have no idea of the quality

Ummm, just saw them on bobstropicalplants.com for even a better price. So shop around, I guess.

If your tank is mature you will always have biofilm on every surface. Until I run across the results of a scientific study proving that leaves produce biofilm faster, I'll bet it's just another crafty ploy from Asia to get people to go nuts for something they don't really need. I use them purely for decorative purposes only.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Also interested in Fire Cherry Shrimp with the above stock list. Haven't finished the research yet.. Open to comments.

Bob's fire cherries have good color; his regular RCS are so-so.

I get my shrimp supplies-cholla, alder, IAL, mosses, etc-from Han Aquatics.

I use oak leaves all the time and they don't turn to a pile of mush ever. They break down in 60-90 days closer to 90 most times. They produce a ton of micro organisms as proven looking under a microscope.

Collect leaves in fall and don't store them over a year. If you use decaying leaves they will break down quickly. It works wonder with egg layer fry as well.

Interested in this as I was about to buy the almond leaves for a new betta tank.....are people feeling that this is an unesesary waste of money?? I had no idea I would need to replace them so often :-/

Try the oak leaves and tell us how you like them!

Back
Top Bottom