Missing endlers, suspect ghost shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Oto

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi aquarium advice people,

My endlers in my 10 gallon have started disappering recently. First, the Chili Trio has become the Chili duo after a male chili endler went missing about 5 days ago, and new I've noticed that I'm missing a tiger endler male. I dont think they jumped out because i have not noticed any dried crispity fish around the tank, but I covered the filter opening on the lid just in case. I have added 6 ghost shrimp about two weeks ago, and four are still alive. I read some posts that people have caught ghost shrimp attacking their fish as they sleep, and this is the only reason I can think of.

Im pretty sure these guys aren't macros. They have those red bands around their antenna and claws that don't look as long as a macros, but the timing seems pretty suspicious. :ermm:

I'm going to try to separate the shrimp from the fish, but trying to find ghost shrimp in a planted tank is like trying to find Waldo. Makes you want to :banghead:.

I'd like to leave the shrimp to help clean. Do you think that the ghost shrimp are the reason for the fishes dissapearance? Has anybody have experience with ghost shrimp and dissapearing fish ?

I would definitely say it's a possibility. Can we see pics of the shrimp/tank? It might be some kind of a shrimp that eats fish, lots of them find their way into PetCo tanks. There is a species with longer arms with claws on the end that predates on fish. Knowing tank parameters, heat etc. and seeing it will also help :)

Thanks for replying. The ammonia and nitrite is 0 and the nitrate is below 40ppm. The temperature is usually around 78, but my stupid heater broke, do it's fluctuating from 74 to 78 while I wait for my new one.

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Here's some photos. Sorry about the bad quality.

Attachments

• 1442755637797.jpg
    1442755637797.jpg
    221.4 KB · Views: 76
  • 1442755668373.jpg
    1442755668373.jpg
    197.4 KB · Views: 93
Nice pics. I have kept ghost shrimp with guppies before, and have had a similar problem. However, mine was primarily not getting any fry due to the shrimps eating them before they had much of a chance. So, IME it's probably best to separate the two, especially if you want fry.

PS, depending on how large your endlers are, it's quite possible you're having the same problem as me

Hope this helps!

GreenGo

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Reactions: Oto
Yep, I just caught a shrimp eating an endler ! Those shrimp are going first thing in the morning.

Have fun hunting those semi-transparent killers in the jungle.
Amano shrimp, if you can find them, are active, fish safe scavengers. A bit more costly, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom