Mystery Snail Laid Eggs!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MaffooJ

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello! This morning I discovered a huge clutch of mystery snail eggs right by the lid of the tank. I heard they need to be moist so I put the bubbler under it so It would splash it a little. I don't want my tank to be infested with them, so is there any way I can safely remove and relocate them? Any help would be appreciated!!

If they get too wet it will kill the snails in the egg sack. If you don't want the eggs use a razor and scrape them off and discard how you see fit.

Thanks for the reply. They seem to be moist at all times, so hopefully they will do ok.

It's actually rather cool when they hatch. You might not notice right away but at some point you'll realize you're seeing tiny snails on the glass.

They're quite tiny when newborn, but they can live just fine. The adult snails will crawl right over baby ones and not do them any harm at all. You can see their tiny antennae and the point on the shell.

It's quite easy to remove any you don't want, but if you grow them on to the size of a quarter, many stores will take them, usually for store credit and many hobbyists will buy them, either to raise, or as feeders for snail eating fish species or turtles.

This is true. I've sold many snails off Craigslist. I even traded some for a tank once. ;)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks for the replys! I hope my lfs will take some off my hands. I once had tiny snails hitch a ride on some plants I got. I grew them up a little and my goldfish liked them!

IF you do not want them to hatch into your tank you can scrape them off and put them in a plastic bowl with a lid. Set them on a piece of sponge and put it into a small plastic bowl. Add a little water to the bottom of the bowl and lightly lay the lid over the top. This will keep them moist. They will hatch in a couple of weeks if they are fertile. They need a male and female to make fertile eggs. If you only have one and it was in a tank with other snails than it is able to make babies. They hold on to sperm from one mating to make several egg clutches. You can take a sharp knife and cut the egg casing down to just a few eggs if you want to limit how many hatch. One cashing can produce form 30 to 100 babies. The warmer they are kept, the sooner they will hatch too.

If you plan on selling them to a local store for fish food you need to ask them what size they would consider taking them. Larger ones do not make good food. THeir shells are too hard. You can ship them easier if you sell them small. Once they get to a quarter size they do not ship as well. Babies can better withstand the shipping process.

Thanks for the help! I'm still waiting on them to hatch, and my lfs said they would take some!

Back
Top Bottom