Need help choosing snails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

althazud

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 55 gallon, moderately planted setup and am looking at getting some snails to help cut down on algae growth. Mostly GSA, BBA, diatoms. I'm looking at snails as the BBA and diatoms are growing on my anubias, java ferns and wendths. Manually cleaning the plants is becoming a pain and there is always the risk of damaging or uprooting the plant.

I'm looking for a snail that stays small (under 2") and doesn't reproduce insanely. It would be nice if it could be something interesting to look at if at all possible.

Other plants in the tank:
Chilensis
Tropica fern
Crypts
Crinum

Livestock:
8 cherry barbs
2 dwarf gourami (pair)
Soon: white cloud minnows
Soon: 2-3 hillstream loaches

Currently dosing excel and preparing to switch to CO2 injection (5-10lb tank)

You could do nerite snails. They won't eat your plants. They also don't reproduce in freshwater. If they lay eggs the eggs will just stay dormant in your tank.

You could do nerite snails. They won't eat your plants. They also don't reproduce in freshwater. If they lay eggs the eggs will just stay dormant in your tank.

And they're kinda pretty... Biggest flaw is they are good little escape artists

I raise ramshorn snails. I find that if I take a young one 1/4 to 1/2 they are not fertile yet. So I have no babies! Takes 2 to tango. IMG_9105.jpg

Yep. Some types of snails have to have a partner. Others are capable of producing on their own.

Indeed, after i added another one & few days later i noticed lots of babies spawning although not all of them lived.

Back
Top Bottom