Not Many Shrimp Keepers Here?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't really found quality rcs nearby. Would love to venture into different species, but can I do other small shrimp in the rcs tank or will they interbreed (not breeding them for sale purposes)?
Not entirely sure what you mean by "Quality", but JetaJockey sells some very hardy and brightly colored RCS. I'm hoping their offspring will for the most part be the same.

LyndaB said:
I haven't really found quality rcs nearby. Would love to venture into different species, but can I do other small shrimp in the rcs tank or will they interbreed (not breeding them for sale purposes)?

If you do one Caridina species and one Neocaridina species, they won't crossbreed.

Caridina and Caridina will cross.
Neo and Neo will cross.
Mutt shrimp tend to lose color in a generation or two. Not desired for resale.

Here or The Planted Tank should have Fire Red RCS for sale if you want deep color.

I havn't been able to find any shrimp around me except for ghost shrimp. I'm in south central Oklahoma. Havn't tried Dallas yet tho still about an hour and a half to there tho... But I can always order from fellow AA members!:)

LyndaB said:

As coursair stated already, shrimp of the same family will interbreed causing them to evert back to their wild color(brown) Neocardina will breed with other Neocardina. Other way around too, Cardina will interbreed with other Cardina.
Ex: neocardina heteropoda var.red (RCS) will interbreed with neocardina zhangjiajiensis (snowballs, blue pearls, and yellows)

However, neocardina will not interbreed with Cardina.
Ex: neocardina heteropoda var.red (RCS) will NOT interbreed with Cardina Cantonensis (CRS/CBS)

Sometimes it isn't best to mix shrimp from both famalies because some require different water parameters.
Ex: CRS require soft, acidic water. pH around 6.5 or so, I believe.
RCS require harder water with a pH of 7.6 or
So:) hope this helps!!:D

Sometimes it isn't best to mix shrimp from both famalies because some require different water parameters.
Ex: CRS require soft, acidic water. pH around 6.5 or so, I believe.
RCS require harder water with a pH of 7.6 or
So:) hope this helps!!:D

Mixing shrimp isnt a problem, I consistently mix my CARIDINAS and NEOCARIDINAS and both co-exist peacefully.

True one requires soft and one requires harder water. But they both meet at a happy medium at 6.4-6.5. Anything lower or high for either or will just result in an imbalance of baby growth/survival rate.

Neocaridina's babies have less survival rate then Caridina babies at a ph of 6.0 from my experience. This is what I've noticed.

Not entirely sure what you mean by "Quality", but JetaJockey sells some very hardy and brightly colored RCS.

That's exactly where I got my RCS...... I'm having great luck and get great enjoyment out of the ones jeta sent. They just don't sell them locally, for some reason.

Thank you for the responses about interbreeding.

Shrimpfever

I see you are a shrimp keeper, seller, importer. What types are easy to keep for the shrimp Newbies, and affordable?

I have a Bamboo shrimp, 3 Amano cleaners and 4 Ghost Shrimp. Looking to pick up some orange ones, either Sunkist or some other orange ones from the lfs, and either, really want blue - either blueberries or blackberries. I have water hardness of around 7-7.5.

Which ones can I keep in the same tank and won't harm or cross breed?
:smitten: with shrimp!!!

Autumnsky said:
I see you are a shrimp keeper, seller, importer. What types are easy to keep for the shrimp Newbies, and affordable?

I have a Bamboo shrimp, 3 Amano cleaners and 4 Ghost Shrimp. Looking to pick up some orange ones, either Sunkist or some other orange ones from the lfs, and either, really want blue - either blueberries or blackberries. I have water hardness of around 7-7.5.

Which ones can I keep in the same tank and won't harm or cross breed?
:smitten: with shrimp!!!

Well your ghosts will be mean to dwarf shrimp. So no neocardinia. Go with amanos and cherries if you're a starter. Or sunkists/fire reds/yellows. They're all cherry varieties.

MABJ said:
Well your ghosts will be mean to dwarf shrimp. So no neocardinia. Go with amanos and cherries if you're a starter. Or sunkists/fire reds/yellows. They're all cherry varieties.

I definitely agree to go for some good quality Red Cherry Shrimp. Super easy to care for, and are quite colorful. Another thing about RCS is that they are a breeze to breed, and you can make a fair amount of money off the babies.

Blue 'pearl' shrimp are ugly IMO. They're neocardinia however.

Research on AquaBid.

Then double research online.

Autumnsky said:
Are blue pearl the same as black or blueberries?

Never heard of blackberries, but yes. Blue pearl is a blueberry I think.

MABJ said:
Never heard of blackberries, but yes. Blue pearl is a blueberry I think.

I don't think they are the same. Blue Pearls are clear with a tinge of Blue. Blueberries are dark blue all over. Slightly different scientific names also ! Both may be color varieties from RCS ?Both are Neocaridina.

Planet inverts says Blueberries might even be part of the babaulti complex ??

Coursair said:
I don't think they are the same. Blue Pearls are clear with a tinge of Blue. Blueberries are dark blue all over. Slightly different scientific names also ! Both may be color varieties from RCS ?Both are Neocaridina.

Planet inverts says Blueberries might even be part of the babaulti complex ??

Oh really?? Never seen blueberries, but blue is so unstable in shrimp really. I wouldn't mess around with it, except for blue tigers, which I love.

I think I am shooting for Blue Tigers if all goes well for my shrimp quest!!!

Caridina cantonensis sp "blue"? I like the way those look. I don't think all the babies come out blue like the parents do, can anyone verify if they breed true or not?

Sake said:
Caridina cantonensis sp "blue"? I like the way those look. I don't think all the babies come out blue like the parents do, can anyone verify if they breed true or not?

Not sure about the scientific name, but we are talking about OEBTs right now lol. OEBTs will produce some blonde offspring, but under the right condition and with the right gene pool, they breed dark blue with orange eyes mostly.

Yeah orange eyed blue tigers. Blonde tigers huh? will those have orange eyes also? Wonder how they look.

Sake said:
Yeah orange eyed blue tigers. Blonde tigers huh? will those have orange eyes also? Wonder how they look.

They're colorless, I'm sure the orange eyes don't stand out much like that. They're not attractive, but they're the same species. Poor things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom