Over run with ghost shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pat86004

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I recently inherited a female betta and 6 ghost shrimp that were kept in a way too small tank, and set up a 10 gallon heavily planted with java moss on driftwood, some kind of anubias, and I'm trying my hand with dwarf hairgrass (it's not looking stellar, might scrap it). The problem is, that when I inherited the shrimp, 3 of them were carrying eggs, the eggs have now hatched, and I suspect there are about 100 tiny shrimp crawling all over the moss. I had kinda hoped that the betta would eat a bunch of them, and keep the numbers in check, however, she seems to completely ignore them. Anything you guys would reccomend to eat some babies and keep this thing from becoming just one giant mass of shrimp? The betta is pretty friendly toward the adult shrimp, with nothing but an occasional false charge at them during feeding, I was thinking maybe a couple cory cats?

Ghost shrimp will not reproduce in freshwater.

You may have cherry shrimp, or the babies are still very young and yet to have died.

They were definitely labelled as ghost shrimp, and are clear bodies, and it started with little dots crawling all over the glass, and is now a bunch is 1/16" shrimp.... they seem to have doubled in size in the last 3 days or so. Maybe they are something else, but they are definitely reproducing, and the babies seem to be thriving.

They were definitely labelled as ghost shrimp, and are clear bodies, and it started with little dots crawling all over the glass, and is now a bunch is 1/16" shrimp.... they seem to have doubled in size in the last 3 days or so. Maybe they are something else, but they are definitely reproducing, and the babies seem to be thriving.

Pictures?

Many cherry shrimp that have reverted back to wild type colours will be clear.

This is not a photo of my tank (I'm not home, will have to be later, but this is what I have)

Attachments

• palaemonetes-paludosus-c578f084-c0f5-4543-bcd2-ebba47477e8-resize-750.jpeg
    palaemonetes-paludosus-c578f084-c0f5-4543-bcd2-ebba47477e8-resize-750.jpeg
    30.1 KB · Views: 127
I have some shrimp which look the same - AND also sold as GHOST shrimp and reproducing, but what I actually think I have is some kind of whisker shrimp.

They were really hard to see in also a heavily planted tank. I later got a better look and pic and they have front arms almost 2x the length of the Cherry shrimp.
These are pretty poor pics but the best I got that day.
60074-albums14728-picture72015.jpg

60074-albums14728-picture72016.jpg

60074-albums14728-picture72014.jpg

They do indeed reproduce many babies.

Sell them as feeders or decorative shrimp for shrimp tanks. You might get a little credit from the lfs.

Yeah I'm with Autumn, let them get a decent size and sale them. No reason to over stock your own tank and risk something eating all your shrimp

id love to buy some larger reproducing shrimp for my freshwater tank.

Back
Top Bottom