Raid insect bomb killing rcs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishfool58

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Today I had to bomb my house with raid, cause of the little {moderator edit} ants & bugs getting in Because my stupid landlord won't hire a professional to spray the house.. I come home from work to see every single one of my RCS shrimp dead in my 10gal planted.. yet, all my other tanks, the fish are all heathy.. In the 10Gal 1 fish (endler) has a missing tail fin now.. & all the shrimp are dead.. I covered it up along with all my other tanks(fish, snakes, lizards, & scorpion cages with towels.. Everyone seems fine except that tank.. I tested water.. Everything turned out fine.. Is this a cause? Like could it have possibly killed my shrimp or is it highly unlikely, that there is another culprit?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah i think your raid bomb was the culprit. It wouldn't take much to kill tiny shrimp. I don't think covering up the tanks with just towels was sufficient. I would have used some plastic wrap or trash bags and sealed it off with some tape. Sorry to hear about your loss!

Last edited by a moderator:
Brian_Nano12g said:
Yeah i think your raid bomb was the culprit. It wouldn't take much to kill tiny shrimp. I don't think covering up the tanks with just towels was sufficient. I would have used some plastic wrap or trash bags and sealed it off with some tape. Sorry to hear about your loss!

But I covered it up with like 4-5 towels, all I did for all the other tanks were blankets.. Which weren't nearly as thick.. I didn't even think about the bags.. :/ do you know what could be wrong with the fish though?

Well what's in the tank with the Endler? It's quite possible if the tail went missing during the short time you had the tank covered that his/her fin got nipped off by another fish. In complete dark and over a period of time, especially when hungry, tail fins become tasty targets for opportunistic tankmates.

Brian_Nano12g said:
Well what's in the tank with the Endler? It's quite possible if the tail went missing during the short time you had the tank covered that his/her fin got nipped off by another fish. In complete dark and over a period of time, especially when hungry, tail fins become tasty targets for opportunistic tankmates.

The only thing in the tank are other Endlers, RCS, & an Assassin snail.. I know they weren't hungry.. They were only covered for like 6-7 hours..

Since the RCS are sensitive to the chemicals.. Would the reason one of my Endlers tail & top fin be missing because he always stays at the top of the tank?

Back
Top Bottom