bug bomb got in my tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chest Rockwell

Aquarium Advice Activist
Well I got home today and my roommate told me that our landlord came by and used two bug bombs. I freaked out because all my tanks were uncovered with everything still running during the bombing. I checked all my tanks finding that all my ghost shrimp were dead or on the verge of death. The puffers were picking at the dead shrimp. In my large tank I saw all my fish when I fed them except my oto, but its hard to locate the little guy anyways. But pretty much all my fish are still alive. I was wondering if anyone ever experienced this situation and the outcome. I hope I don't see my fishing dropping over the next few days.

Did you do huge water changes to get the gas out of the system?

You might try demanding that your landlord reimburse you for any losses in the tank.

If you don't normally use it, I might try carbon in the filters until the crisis has passed. While your lease probably specifies that you must give your landlord reasonable maintenance access, you don't have to allow him in to do stuff like this when you are not here. A bug bomb shouldn't even be set off with people there, no less in an area with aquariums.

I haven't done any water changes because it is so late when I got home from work. I do run carbon in all my tanks and was hoping that it caught all the toxins. This sucks cause I did all my water changes yesterday as well as cleaning and changing out my filters. My roommate said it was bombed between 3-4pm today and as of now I still see all fish swimming normally

Wow, that really sucks. I would take serious issue with your landlord, they should definitely give tennants some warning. Hope your fish make it!

Yeah most states have a "12 hour notice of maintance" law. I know because its my livelyhood. Something so invasive isnt your typical maint. Small pets and children are especially sensitive let alone adults. In WI you can withhold rent (hold, not live free) until the situation is meitated. Contact ur city hall and find specifics. The city might also side with you and aid in a settement. Animal death due to neglagence is frown apon in court...even shrimp.

Well so far so good, all fish are accounted for and look healthy. I believe the activated carbon I have in the filters saved the day. All I lost was a total of 15 ghost shrimp, guess they really are that sensitive to any foreign substances.

This was wrong on so many levels. I'm so sorry for your loss. We all know that they are not "just shrimp". I'm glad your fish seem okay. I used to run carbon just in case against similar situations. I don't run it now except for limited purposes because my tank is planted.

It is a difficult and considered decision to take on a landlord. I wish you all the best whatever you decide to do about it. I hope that your landlord will adopt safer alternatives, or give you a chance to take precautions, or both.

I hate landlords. They are con artists and think their God. Sue him if it's ok to have fish in your apartments they should not be spraying bug killer around household pets!

Back
Top Bottom