Red Cherry Shrimp Care

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bettafanatic

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm thinking of starting a 10g shrimp tank and the shrimp I plan on getting are red cherry shrimp because apparently they are a good beginner shrimp. I just have a few questions about them.

1. Do I have to dose any iodine or stuff like that for them when they molt?

2. Can I have a habitat of both RCS and amano shrimp? I like both.

3. Is the fluval shrimp substrate worth it?

4. Do shrimp require RO/DI water or can I just use dechlorinated tap water?

5. Any other tips are appreciated!

i have red cherry shrimp, and just keep them on sand. i use dechlor tap water, and just feed them the same crisps as my fish get, and they are doing great! i dont add anything else, except some egg shells cor extra calcium for them. as far as other shrimp tank mates, amanos are ok i think. generally to prevent cross breeding you dont want to keep neos with neos, or cardinas with other cardinas. but in pretty sure amanos are cardinas, and red cherries are neos so it should be fine.

Bettafanatic said:
I'm thinking of starting a 10g shrimp tank and the shrimp I plan on getting are red cherry shrimp because apparently they are a good beginner shrimp. I just have a few questions about them.

1. Do I have to dose any iodine or stuff like that for them when they molt?

2. Can I have a habitat of both RCS and amano shrimp? I like both.

3. Is the fluval shrimp substrate worth it?

4. Do shrimp require RO/DI water or can I just use dechlorinated tap water?

5. Any other tips are appreciated!
1. no
2. yes, the two work fine together.
3. Depends on who you talk to, as oscarchic mentioned they don't need a specialty substrate. I'd get a nice high cec substrate if you are going planted, there are lots of options.
4. If you can keep fish in it you can likely keep rcs in it. They are hardy little buggers that don't have any special care requirements.

Thanks for the tips guys. I'm really excited to start this. They seem like great little shrimp. THe amanos sound great too. Are amanos also good beginner shrimp and do they have the same needs and water preferences as the RCS?

Back
Top Bottom