Red Cherry Shrimps

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ian086

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi, i just want some advice on Red Cherry Shrimps. I have no experience and to be honest know nothing about them except i think they look cool and i want some..I would like to add some to my 10g cube guppy breeding tank. I currently have 4 guppies in there, will be upping it to 8. It has a filter rated x3 times what i need for the 10g..Water tests are spot on, ph 7.8. Sand substrate, plenty of fake plants. I was just wondering if/how many i could add..I mainly want them as a clean up crew for the guppies but also because they're cool!!.
Also i have a 55g stock;
2 Platies
2 Kribensis
1 Dalmatian Mollie
5 Red Tail Tetras
2 Swordtail's
Could they be added to the 55 also. I was worried with the Kribs and the Tetras which tend to be a bit too curious sometimes!!!...
Any help/advice would be much appreciated as i know nothing about them...Thanks, Ian

red cherry shrimp snacks

i fear that your RCS will get eaten. if they do survive, they will be hiding most of the time. keeping the guppies well fed may keep them away from the shrimp, however, if you are increasing the guppy numbers the odds of RCS survival go down.

doubt that the kribs and platies would leave them alone.

if you try it, make sure you have tons of plants/decor for them to take cover.

i fear that your RCS will get eaten. if they do survive, they will be hiding most of the time. keeping the guppies well fed may keep them away from the shrimp, however, if you are increasing the guppy numbers the odds of RCS survival go down.

doubt that the kribs and platies would leave them alone.

if you try it, make sure you have tons of plants/decor for them to take cover.
Yeah i thought putting them in the 55 was a long shot. I'll leave it just to the 10g so...Thanks for the reply....

the shrimp have very little bioload. im think i saw somewhere that 5/gallon would be good.

have you thought about ghost shrimp? they are fun as well and are bigger and prob won't get eaten by guppies/platies. the kribs/mollies may go at them though.

the shrimp have very little bioload. im think i saw somewhere that 5/gallon would be good.

have you thought about ghost shrimp? they are fun as well and are bigger and prob won't get eaten by guppies/platies. the kribs/mollies may go at them though.
Yeah i've decided not to go with them for the 55 but as i will only have guppies in the 10g, do you think i could add them to that and if so how many???

Uh...hrmmm yeah they do get eaten by guppies, platies, etc...as long as they can fit in the mouth they will become a delicious snack...I witnessed it in my 55g with those species (I couldn't believe what I had saw)......so just remember if it is small enough it will get eaten

I have had red cherries with my mollies and the mollies never went after any of them, even when the shrimp had babies and the mollies did too. Now the shrimp are in with a juvenile angelfish who is leaving the shrimp alone. I say go ahead and give it a try with 5 shrimp, which will multiply in a few months to larger numbers. Though you should really get some live plants for the shrimp to hide in and eat from like java moss or a couple moss balls. If they have places to hide they should be fine.

Back
Top Bottom