Should I or should I not?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NatureFish

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've been thinking of getting shrimp for a while. I'm horribly afraid that I will end up killing the poor things though... Any advice? Should I just go for it and hope for the best. I have never had shrimp but I've had snails and fish so I should be good right? I pay attention to my parameters and that's pretty much the only thing "special" about their care right? I don't want RCS because red shrimp look like something you could get from a Seafood restaurant lol! I'd like to get one of the colorful neocaridina.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

A lot of people have some bad luck in the beginning with shrimp. I've found that getting a few from different sources helps a lot.

I have red, red rili, blue velvet, yellow, pumpkin, carbon rili...just a preference thing.

What kind of setup would you have for them?

They would go in a planted ten gallon with snails. :)

Nice sized tank! No fish?

Plants are good, especially mosses. Mine also really appreciate floating plants, fun to see them hanging upside down.

Cholla wood is beneficial plus provides hidey places for shrimplets. Just note that it takes a lot of soaking before it'll stop floating around the tank.

Nope no fishies this time around! I'm getting a bunch of blue ramshorns in hopes that they will breed! I'm just really scared of killing the shrimp if I were to get any. What type would you recommend I get if I'm looking for something colorful and super easy. Sometimes I get really busy with school so something that can take care of itself for a few days at a time is important.

Are rili shrimp hard to keep?

As far as neos I personally think cherries are the most difficult...maybe because they're overbred?

I have red rili in with my betta and green rasboras...I find them and orange sakura/pumpkins to be the hardiest in my opinion.

All the neocarndia shrimp are very easy to care for. Theresa I have no idea why your cherries are not hardy. Mine take a beating as noted by brookster... I personally don't fine one neocarndia easier then another.
However send me a pm when you have some carbons for sale

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I personally have found cherries very easy and entertaining. The first time ever I got them, they had babies within a month!

I lost a few in the beginning and with all the posts I've read here that doesn't seem uncommon. I have a lot of shrimp :hide:

I think I'll wait on shrimp. ;)

Neos weren't very hard to care for in my experience. Took care of them before I had fish. They liked my tap water just fine and they even bred. Didn't add anything else to it. Kept dropping their eggs though because all of them were still pretty young. If you can keep fish you can probably keep cherries as well. just don't use any algae control chemicals, some fish medications, or overdose on copper because it may kill them

Neos weren't very hard to care for in my experience. Took care of them before I had fish. They liked my tap water just fine and they even bred. Didn't add anything else to it. Kept dropping their eggs though because all of them were still pretty young. If you can keep fish you can probably keep cherries as well. just don't use any algae control chemicals, some fish medications, or overdose on copper because it may kill them

Well that's great! You've given me a bit more confidence on the shrimp thing.

Is it better to start with a ten gallon like the one I have or a nano?

If the 10g is established I'd go with that. Neos really aren't difficult to keep but can be very addictive. I'm made the jump recently and am starting a tank of tigers, one of the easier to care for caridinas :flowers:

If the 10g is established I'd go with that. Neos really aren't difficult to keep but can be very addictive. I'm made the jump recently and am starting a tank of tigers, one of the easier to care for caridinas :flowers:

The 10g is about 6 or 7 months old. It's established. So now I guess I need to figure out what will work for my setup. So just a quick run down of what's in there now:
So I'm working on a repens carpet and I have a nice patch of dwarf hair grass in a corner where my filter out put is. I planted the grass inside a plastic peanut butter lid with sand in it so that when the out put hits the grass it doesn't make a huge sand crater like it used to. My whole tank is sand however I used black river stones to outline a cute little path going from the front to back. My tank is very lightly planted so I'm planning on getting more plants. I'm thinking for the floating plants I'm going to go with water lettuce since the tank is an open-top. Water lettuce grows from stem runners so I just have to figure out how I'm going to control it so that enough light still comes through for the other plants. Once there's a stem runner can you cut it from the mother plant or will it die that way? I have a few outdoor ponds so I can always transfer propagations in there. There's A LOT of planaria at the moment because I didn't have anything in there so I left betta food and brine shrimp to rot in order to keep my cycle going. Will they harm the snails and shrimp I may get? There's a lot of hidden questions in that post....sorry....

The 10g is about 6 or 7 months old. It's established. So now I guess I need to figure out what will work for my setup. So just a quick run down of what's in there now:
So I'm working on a repens carpet and I have a nice patch of dwarf hair grass in a corner where my filter out put is. I planted the grass inside a plastic peanut butter lid with sand in it so that when the out put hits the grass it doesn't make a huge sand crater like it used to. My whole tank is sand however I used black river stones to outline a cute little path going from the front to back. My tank is very lightly planted so I'm planning on getting more plants. I'm thinking for the floating plants I'm going to go with water lettuce since the tank is an open-top. Water lettuce grows from stem runners so I just have to figure out how I'm going to control it so that enough light still comes through for the other plants. Once there's a stem runner can you cut it from the mother plant or will it die that way? I have a few outdoor ponds so I can always transfer propagations in there. There's A LOT of planaria at the moment because I didn't have anything in there so I left betta food and brine shrimp to rot in order to keep my cycle going. Will they harm the snails and shrimp I may get? There's a lot of hidden questions in that post....sorry....
Ok, you have to post a pic, it sounds so interesting!

Not sure about cutting the runners. I usually scoop it out and dump it in another tank. Getting to the point where that won't be an option though. Finally got all of it removed from my 16g and replaced with this, it's my new favorite floater: Hygroryza Aristata - Han Aquatics

No idea about the planaria, hopefully someone else can comment on that.

That's really a cool plant! I like water lettuce because the lettuce looks like my favorite succulent I have: ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1427649339.858732.jpg
That one isn't mine but its the same species.

I would take a picture but I'm not there right now. Maybe if I get home tonight I'll take one. I'm on my weekend vacation :)

Is it better to start with a ten gallon like the one I have or a nano?

preferably whichever one is cycled with a good number of plants. the tank size just dictates how much shrimp you can get. drift wood is not required but i recommend it. if you don't have driftwood i suggest getting some indian almond leaves instead for cheap as it releases tannins and other good things for the shrimp into the water. it'll give your water a light tea color though, nothing of concern.

in my experience i'm always extra careful now when acclimating shrimp especially. one time when i was still new i had an amano shrimp die the next day because i rushed the acclimation process (10mins) :nono:

Back
Top Bottom