Shrimp to Control Algae Problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sunshine1010

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Left for a business trip for a week. Came back and my tank was overrun with brown algae - my family obviously NEVER turned off the tank light.
So at first i was looking into the right snails for my tank (live plants, breeding patterns, etc) when i came across an article that said shrimp would do the job. Thought my kids would probably enjoy the shrimp a lot more. However when i went to the local big box store, they told me that my fish would eat the shrimp (amano, cherry, ghost). Right now i only have 2 tetra glofish (and was thinking about getting a few more in the near future). Based on the workers advice, should i nix the shrimp idea??

Shrimp won't clean the glass, for that you can use a magnetic algae scrubber.
Amano shrimp should be too big for your tetras to eat.

The amano shrimp will not cleanup the algae overgrowth. However, Mystery Snails will... I added two to my 40 Gallon aquarium and within a week nearly all of green algae was gone... A word of warning, Mystery Snails are escape artists, so keep a lid on your tank.

Hello Sun...

Livebearing fish will do the best job of controlling algae. Research them. Also, large, frequent water changes will remove excess nutrients that algae uses. What temperature do you keep the tank water? Algae likes warmer water too. I keep my tanks at around 72 to 75 degrees and have very little algae in them.

B

Back
Top Bottom