Snail ID

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

evansbradley

Aquarium Advice Regular
I got a plant from my lfs and found these snails crawling all over it. What kind are they and are they okay to have in my aquarium?ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1413345021.626695.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1413345059.437203.jpg

MTS (Malaysian Trumpet Snails). They do breed rapidly. Some folks don't like them. They are safe with plants. They do like to burrow in the substrate in their search for food (not a bad thing).

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Just fyi, they don't lay eggs in your tank. They brood their young inside their shells and release live young at the water surface at night. Usually several at a time. They are so tiny they can float on the water tension, until they find something to cling to. They are voracious algae eaters, thus useful where algae is a problem, and do keep detritus levels down. Personally I would not have a tank without them, though if I ever had space for a real show tank, I'd not want too many of them in it.

Just fyi, they don't lay eggs in your tank. They brood their young inside their shells and release live young at the water surface at night. Usually several at a time. They are so tiny they can float on the water tension, until they find something to cling to. They are voracious algae eaters, thus useful where algae is a problem, and do keep detritus levels down. Personally I would not have a tank without them, though if I ever had space for a real show tank, I'd not want too many of them in it.

Thats really interesting! I haven't introduced them to my tank just yet because I already have some pond snails. I guess I could add them anyways to have a variety

Given a choice between any of the common pond snail species and MTS, I'd take MTS every time. Though I like the coloured ramshorns too, and keep some red and chocolate coloured ones, MTS seem to me to be most useful and least annoying. Though if you get a LOT Of them on a dark substrate they will show up against it. Easy enough to harvest some, usually not hard to sell or give away.

Back
Top Bottom