Snail Slime

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mlamp

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey guys,

I've been having some weird slime type stuff coming off of my mystery snail over the last several days. It almost looks like wet spider web mixed with black dots. Is this just feces? I've had snails for awhile now and have never noticed it. Sorry for the description, its a difficult thing to describe. Thanks for the input.

Hey guys,

I've been having some weird slime type stuff coming off of my mystery snail over the last several days. It almost looks like wet spider web mixed with black dots. Is this just feces? I've had snails for awhile now and have never noticed it. Sorry for the description, its a difficult thing to describe. Thanks for the input.

Snails naturally create slime it's nothing to worry about. It could just be it's poo Lol but can't really say without a pic.

My mystery snail does the same thing, but only occasionally. I found out that the slime trail likely occurs from when they are using their "strong foot" muscle. Since none of my apple or inca snails have this slime trail it seems weird ... The small black dots are feces.

I was looking for info on how long Ramshorns eggs take to reach a point where they will start to explore outside the substrate and found a few things out in the process. If your water conditions are not to their liking they will often create an insulating layer of slime. If they are really bad for them they will also float most of the time.

Is the slime they are leaving behind stuck to the glass/plants/rocks in a clump? If it is they might be laying eggs. My Ramshorns were laying eggs for about 1.5 months after they were placed into separate tanks. I moved a big rock a few days back and saw three baby snails of varying sizes so if it is eggs you will probably see loads of juvenile snails eventually.

Is this a mystery snail or a Giant ramshorn? The Giant ramshorn is related but does lay a big, messy, ugly sack of slime with its eggs, which at the start are just small dark specs in the slop, which grow larger. I've had a number of them hatch out and they are growing well.

Mystery snails lay eggs above water only, a big capsule sort of thing that dries right out and is usually pinkish.

I've never seen slime from my snails, but I suppose it makes sense if they are irritated that they'd try to protect themselves.

Back
Top Bottom