Snails that swim

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
At feeding time in my sump, the juvenile Apple Snails swim (UPSIDE DOWN) on the surface trying to trap food. I've never seen this before and wander if I should record it. I witness it every day, sometimes 5-10 at a time.

Ramshorns in my tank do this and I'm really confused. wonder how they do it.

Where is the foot and what's it look like? I've had snails before but never noticed a foot....

NatureFish
????

The foot is basically the part the snail "glides" on.
The smaller MTS cling to the water's surface in my shrimp tank and float around until the current knocks them down.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

The foot is basically the part the snail "glides" on.
The smaller MTS cling to the water's surface in my shrimp tank and float around until the current knocks them down.

Do snails have brains? They have personalities and they are always curious but I wonder if its a coincidence or if they actually process thoughts like us?!

NatureFish
????

The have sets of ganglia or groupings of neurons. So technically, no.
Though they do not have a brain, some studies show that snails are capable of associative thinking. They're not going to do your math homework for you.

Ref.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/lifestyle/9433231/Germaine-Greer-Snails-deserve-our-attention.html

Poor snails they are like the poor scare crow from the wizard of Oz. they need to ask the wizard for a brain.

NatureFish
????

What I find surprising is just how much animal behaviour is inborn instinct. Baby snails act just like adults do, and find food just as they do, and they sure don't learn that from their parents.

I have watched one of my mystery snails, who was, perhaps, seeking a spawning site, feeling out the edge of the glass top of her tank. She spent about fifteen minutes curling her foot along and over the edge before deciding she wouldn't fit in the space between it and the tank wall.

Back
Top Bottom