Snails that swim

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

evansbradley

Aquarium Advice Regular
Does anyone have snails that swim? Sometimes mine seem to just let go and float around in the current of my tank. Kinda strange but pretty cool ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1413725412.305338.jpg

I don't have any swimming snails but I've seen lots of people on YouTube with swimming snails!

NatureFish
????

I don't have any swimming snails but I've seen lots of people on YouTube with swimming snails!

NatureFish
????

It's pretty interesting to see! I thought they were riding the current made by the filter but I remember seeing them do that in a 1 gallon fish bowl that didn't have any current. Pretty curious

I've seen that with pond snails. Could not tell if they were riding a current or climbing an invisible mucous trail.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I've seen that with pond snails. Could not tell if they were riding a current or climbing an invisible mucous trail.

Pond snails are what these are. Who knows how they're doing it. Maybe a little research on my part would reveal the answer

For one thing, their shells are thin and light weight unlike MTS shells. You usually see this in the smaller ones. Why they do it? Who knows.

He seemed to do it to move around faster, he "swam" over to the filter head to have a chow down. Sometimes they do it to float to the top, or at least that's where they end up.

My mystery snails swim and surf the bubbles from the air stone. It's kinda neat

Sent from my VS980 4G using Aquarium Advice mobile app

At feeding time in my sump, the juvenile Apple Snails swim (UPSIDE DOWN) on the surface trying to trap food. I've never seen this before and wander if I should record it. I witness it every day, sometimes 5-10 at a time.

My little pond snails do that sometimes as well!! Freaking weird! You never see this stuff in the wild. I wonder what causes this in a tank

My little pond snails do that sometimes as well!! Freaking weird! You never see this stuff in the wild. I wonder what causes this in a tank

This doesn't happen my my DT. I think I that low currents allows for a greater surface tension.... seconds later after Googling...

Surface tension is exposed, for example, any time an object or insect (e.g. water striders) that is denser than water is able to float or run along the water surface. At liquid-air interfaces, surface tension results from the greater attraction of water molecules to each other (due to cohesion) than to the molecules in the air (due to adhesion). The net effect is an inward force at its surface that causes water to behave as if its surface were covered with a stretched elastic membrane.

My apple snail's like to parasnail too :)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

You better coin that term!

It means a parachuting snail, getting blown around the tank by the filter, we use that term on applesnail.net forum.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I want all kinds of snails in my tank....but I also want a puffer (which eat snails).

NatureFish
????

Has anyone ever kept puffers with snails who you DON'T want to get eaten? I was thinking maybe keep them in a breeders trap with holes small enough for the puffer's beak not to fit through and take a bite.

NatureFish
????

But would that work? Could I keep apple, Sulawesi rabbit and red ramshorns all in one breeder trap? I may have to just suck it up and buy another tank but I really don't want to cycle and then have a garage sale to get more room. Maybe I could make a large breeder trap of my own.

NatureFish
????

If you watch the smaller snail species, you may catch them actually gliding on the underside of the water tension ! I've got some vid of it somewhere, if I can ever find it. I've seen ramshorns do this, bladder snails do it, and I have seen mystery snails do something very similar though they are too heavy to actually suspend themselves from the water tension alone. Usually they have a grip on a bit of plant or the glass, but most of the foot will be on the water tension and the mouth will often be grabbing at some floating bit of something.

First time I saw a snail crawling on the underside of the water tension I was sure I was seeing things but I've observed it many times since. Not quite swimming, but not quite the usual method of getting around either. My mystery snails sometimes float around for a period of time and I've seen small ramshorns do that too. I get a big kick from seeing the big mysteries let go when they finish breathing to sail to the bottom of the tank. Like rocks falling but with a bit more control.

If you watch the smaller snail species, you may catch them actually gliding on the underside of the water tension ! I've got some vid of it somewhere, if I can ever find it. I've seen ramshorns do this, bladder snails do it, and I have seen mystery snails do something very similar though they are too heavy to actually suspend themselves from the water tension alone. Usually they have a grip on a bit of plant or the glass, but most of the foot will be on the water tension and the mouth will often be grabbing at some floating bit of something.

First time I saw a snail crawling on the underside of the water tension I was sure I was seeing things but I've observed it many times since. Not quite swimming, but not quite the usual method of getting around either. My mystery snails sometimes float around for a period of time and I've seen small ramshorns do that too. I get a big kick from seeing the big mysteries let do when they finish breathing to sail to the bottom of the tank. Like rocks falling but with a bit more control.

It is quite interesting to watch, thats for sure!

Back
Top Bottom